This recipe for Air Fryer Grilled Cheese produces the crispiest and cheesiest sandwich ever. It’s just as simple as making it on the stovetop, but is so evenly browned and delicious. You’ll never make it any other way again!
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich
If you have kids, you know they are often hungry. Little snacks like crackers often aren’t enough to keep their tummies full. I find this to be especially true when they get home from school. These air fryer grilled cheese sandwiches are perfect any time. They are quick to prepare and cook, making them one of our new go-tos when the kiddos just can’t wait until dinner time.
These grilled cheese sandwiches also make a fantastic dinner option. Since they are so versatile, they can be paired with any side dish you like! This will give you several meals to choose from – even on a busy weeknight when you don’t feel like cooking.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Bread, cheese, and butter are the key ingredients for this air fryer grilled cheese sandwich recipe. It’s so simple and cheap!
- Bread: I love classic white sandwich bread, but you can use whatever type of bread you like.
- Cheddar Cheese: Sharp cheddar cheese slices add great flavor.
- Butter: Unsalted and softened.
- Salt & Pepper
How to Make Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
It is so quick and easy to make grilled cheese in the air fryer! Below are the step-by-step instructions to ensure the result is the perfect sandwich.
- Step 1. Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees F.
- Step 2. Spread the softened butter on one slice of bread. Place on a plate buttered side up and set aside.
- Step 3. Take a second slice of bread and layer with the cheese. Make sure the entire slice is covered. Then, sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- Step 4. Place the buttered slice of bread on top of the cheese, buttered side up, and place the sandwich in the air fryer basket.
- Step 5. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the top is brown and crispy.
- Step 6. Flip the grilled cheese and butter on the other side.
- Step 7. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until it is brown.
- Step 8. Remove the sandwich from the air fryer basket and allow it to cool for 1-2 minutes before serving.
Tips & Tricks For The Best Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- You can make grilled cheese in the oven, too. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and assemble the sandwiches the same way. Bake for 10-12 minutes. If you are using a griddle pan, cook for 2-3 minutes per side over medium heat.
- The best way to cut these air fryer grilled cheese sandwiches is diagonally with a serrated knife.
- Depending on the size of your air fryer basket, you may be able to make 2 sandwiches at a time.
- Add parmesan to the outside of the bread to make the sandwich extra crispy.
- You can store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Wrap the air fryer grilled cheese sandwiches with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
Variations and Substitutions
- Bread: Wheat, sourdough bread, rye, French, and garlic bread are some of my favorites to swap for classic white bread.
- Cheese: Add any of these cheeses to the cheddar or switch it to American, pepper jack, havarti, provolone, Mozzarella, gouda, Monterey jack, gruyere, Colby jack, Swiss cheese, medium, or mild cheddar. Shredded cheese can also be used.
- Meats: Add a protein like air fryer bacon strips or sliced ham to take it up a notch.
- Veggies: Sliced tomato and pickles are fun additions to an air fryer grilled cheese.
Here are some of the best side dish options:
- Soup: Broccoli Cheddar, Homemade Chicken Noodle, or tomato
- Fries: Classic French fries or Baked Zucchini Fries
- Salad: we love serving this with our marinated vegetable salad.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Toasted Ravioli
- Air Fryer Cheesy Keto Corndogs
- Air Fryer Pickles
- Air Fryer Corn on the Cob
- Air Fryer Fish Sticks
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices bread your favorite
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese shredded or thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- salt optional, for seasoning
- pepper optional, for seasoning
- Preheat your air fryer to 360 degrees F (182°C) and then lay out a slice of bread on a clean surface or cutting board. Spread butter on one side of the slice of bread.
- Place the slice of bread butter side up, on a plate or any clean surface.
- Place a slice or two of cheddar cheese on top of another slice of bread, making sure you cover the entire surface of the slice. Season the cheese with a pinch of salt and black pepper (optional).
- Place the buttered bread slice on top of the cheese, butter side up.
- Place the sandwiches in the air fryer basket, butter side up, making sure they don't overlap. If your air fryer tends to stick, you can use cooking spray or line the air fryer basket with parchment paper.
- Air fry the sandwiches at 360°F (182°C) for 4-5 minutes until the bottom side is golden brown and crispy.
- Carefully flip the sandwiches with a spatula, and butter the slice. Make sure the parchment paper stays in place if you happen to be using one. Air fry for 3-5 minutes more until the second side is also golden brown and the cheese melts.
- Remove the grilled cheese sandwiches from the air fryer and allow them to cool for a minute or two. After they cool, cut the sandwiches diagonally and serve them hot with a side of French fries, chips, or roasted tomato soup.