11 Reasons Why Being An Aunt Is So Completely Wonderful
This quote from an unknown author sums up who and what an aunt is. “Only an aunt can give hugs like a mother, keep secrets like a sister and share love like a friend.”
If you’re an aunt, you already know how awesome the title is. If not, you are going to be so thrilled when you meet your first niece or nephew. It’s going to change your life.
And since no child suffers from having too many people loving them, they are the real winners. You are going to change their life.
(Have a niece or nephew on the way? Take a peek at these Baby Shower Ideas. There are some super fun ideas!)
Why Being An Aunt Is the Coolest
In 2013, a study was published that shows one reason why being an aunt is so wonderful. Turns out that the smell of a 2 day-old newborn “elicits activation in reward-related cerebral areas in women, regardless of their maternal status.” (source)
Translation: Aunts who have close proximity to those fresh-from-the-factory newborns get to experience a natural high that’ll make them happier and put them in a super good mood. If you’re wishing your siblings would get pregnant already, you should tell them you’ll be a lot more fun to be around once you have a baby’s head to sniff.
1. Aunts don’t tattle. Did someone stay up until midnight? No problem. Auntie will never tell.
2. Aunts get the distinct honor of spoiling kids. Like grandparents, aunts can heap goodies and treats on a child without the guilt.
3. Aunts get to do fun kid stuff like going to amusement parks or kid’s movies because you have a pal to go with you. No more waiting for the DVD to see the latest Pixar release. Grab the niece and nephew and off you go!
4. The auntie knows she can give the kiddos back. Kids all hopped up on sugar? Got a fever? Catch lice at school? Lookout Mom because here they come.
5. Nieces and nephews think their Aunt is the coolest. She knows more about Rick & Morty than most 16-year-olds. She can burp longer than anyone and she likes all the right music.
Happiness Is Being An Aunt
6. You get to act like a kid again! Be as silly as you want. Learn to Floss. Buy the big box of new Crayons. Get a PlayStation. Play Minecraft.
7. Aunts are part of a secret society. They keep a child’s secrets safe, forever and always.
8. There is a bond like no other. Something connects a child and his or her aunt in a way that’s unique and powerful. She is more than a relative and she holds a special place in the hearts of her niece and nephew.
9. Aunts are pretty much adored by parents. What’s not to adore about a person who loves your kids more than almost anyone besides you?
10. Rules? Nope. Not at Auntie’s house. Want to see what it feels like to jump on the bed and touch the ceiling? Well…okay…just this once. If any child on the planet has ever wondered what grape jelly would taste like in Sprite, you can bet that somewhere there is an aunt stirring that concoction right now.
11. There are no obligations for an aunt. What she does, she does out of love. In other words, since they don’t have the 24/7 responsibility of the kids, aunties can swoop in and basically dump love all over their nieces and nephews.
Hug An Aunt Today
Kids who have a cool aunt will never, ever forget her or the things she did to make life special. Remember, Aunt’s Day is July 24th!