These Lemon Donuts are a lemon lovers dream! A delicious lemon donut batter baked in the oven and topped with a lemon sugar coating.
Lemon Sugared Donuts
These baked Lemon Donuts are so lovely! This recipe only calls for a handful of ingredients that you may already have in your kitchen. This recipe is so simple to make and you will have these made in as little as 9 minutes. These Donuts are perfect for breakfast with a cup of coffee or by themselves, so be sure to keep this recipe handy!
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Flour- Use all-purpose flour for the best results.
- Sugar- Every great dessert recipe uses sugar in the ingredients.
- Baking powder- This will allow your donuts to rise and form.
- Salt- This will bring out the flavors in your recipe.
- Buttermilk- You can use milk with a bit of vinegar in it as a substitute.
- Eggs- Use eggs that are at room temperature.
- Lemon Extract- Use pure lemon extract for the best flavoring.
- Butter- Use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Lemon Juice- Use fresh lemon juice for the best-enhanced flavor.
- Lemon Zest- Zest your lemons before juicing them.
How to Make Lemon Donuts
- Set your oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Mix in the buttermilk, eggs, butter, lemon juice, extract, and zest into the bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pipe batter into donut pan.
- Bake and then cool.
- Roll the baked donuts in butter, sugar and lemon zest.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Can These Be Made Into Lemon Donut Holes?
Yes! These Lemon Donuts can definitely be made into bite-sized holes. You can change the measuring to fit that of a donut hole sized pan. These will have no change in flavor, they will just be bite-sized. Another option is using refrigerated biscuit dough like this Lemon Donut Holes recipe.
Tips For Keeping Lemon Donuts From Going Stale
The best way to keep your donuts from going stale is to store them correctly. Storing them in an airtight container will keep them from going stale too fast. This will also help with the shelf life as well.
Other Delicious Lemon Desserts
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cups sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¾ cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- ½ tsp lemon extract
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
Lemon Sugar Coating ingredients
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 6 cavity donut pan with baking spray.
- Using a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt until combined.
- Whisk in the buttermilk, eggs, butter, lemon juice, lemon extract, and lemon zest until combined.
- Scoop the batter into the large piping bag and cut the tip-off. Pipe batter into the donut pan and baked for 9 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes before placing onto a wire rack.
- Repeat steps until all the batter have been used.
- Using two small bowls, add the sugar and lemon zest into one bowl then the melted butter into the second bowl.
- Dip the top of the donuts into the melted butter.
- Next, dip the donuts into the lemon sugar. Place onto a wire rack and repeat with remaining donuts.
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.