With no yeast, no kneading, and just 3 ingredients, this Beer Bread is a homemade bread recipe that anyone can make. Ready in under an hour, with just 5 minutes of prep!
Quick & Easy Beer Bread Recipe
This beer bread may be the easiest bread recipe you ever make. It requires just 3 ingredients and the only steps are simply to mix the ingredients and bake them. It might seem too good to be true but it’s literally that easy!
Beer bread can be used to make sandwiches or toast but I personally love it when served with chili and soup. I love the dense, moist texture and the light beer flavor. While this is a recipe for basic beer bread, I’ve also included lots of suggestions for other variations.
What You’ll Need
There are just 3 ingredients needed to make this easy beer bread recipe!
(full amounts in recipe box below)
- Self-Rising Flour – Since we’re using self-rising flour, there’s no need to add baking soda or other ingredients often found in beer bread recipes.
- Granulated Sugar
- Beer – See below for notes on which beer to use.
What is Self Rising Flour?
Self rising flour is a combination of flour, baking powder, and salt. This combination cuts out a lot of extra time and work from traditional bread recipes because there’s no yeast needed and therefore no rise time.
Customize your beer bread by adding some additional ingredients when you stir the dough.
- Fresh, chopped herbs such as rosemary or thyme
- Shredded cheeses such as cheddar or pepper jack
- Raw or roasted garlic
- Finely diced jalapenos (this would be good with the cheese)
- Honey (for a sweet flavor)
- Butter (brushed over the top)
What Kind Of Beer Should I Use To Make Beer Bread?
You can use any kind of beer you prefer. My personal preference is to use golden ale beers, but any beer will work just fine. The beer flavor is actually very faint, especially when you use light beer. The real purpose of the beer is to create air bubbles that make the bread rise and baking the bread does cook the alcohol off, so this recipe is enjoyable for the entire family.
You can also get creative and try seasonal beers, like pumpkin ale, or hard ciders.
How to Make Beer Bread
There are just a few steps to making this homemade bread recipe.
- Make the batter. Mix together the ingredients, until fully combined.
- Bake. Transfer the batter to the greased loaf pan. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Cool. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Cool completely before slicing.
Beer bread, like most homemade breads, is extremely versatile. Sometimes I’ll enjoy the warm slices with some butter or even whipped cinnamon butter.
This bread can also be used for sandwiches or turned into toast. It makes a great side for soup (especially if you add the cheddar cheese, yum!), chili, or anything else you’d typically serve bread with.
How to Store
Homemade bread can be stored at room temperature for 3 days or in the fridge for 5 days. One trick I have for ensuring it stays moist and tender is to place a paper towel with it in the airtight container.
Can I Freeze This?
Beer bread does freeze very well. Once it cools completely, wrap it in plastic wrap then freeze in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge then enjoy!
More Bread Recipes:
- Homemade Honey Oat Bread
- 5-ingredient Banana Bread
- Jalapeno Cheddar Bread
- Homemade White Bread Recipe
- Incredibly Moist Pumpkin Bread
3-ingredient Beer Bread Recipe
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 12 ounces beer
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, and beer until it is fully combined. The batter will be thick. Spoon the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 40 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and let sit for five minutes, then remove the bread from the pan and let cool completely before slicing.