These Gingerbread Cookies are soft spiced cookies topped with cream cheese frosting and holiday sprinkles. The most requested Christmas Cookie Recipe and so easy to make.
If gingerbread is a smell that you don’t have in your house at Christmas time, then you are missing out! These amazing cookies will fill your kitchen with a wonderful aroma that will make your mouth water. These ginger cookies are great for any Christmas occasion or to give as a gift!
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Sweeteners: You will need three types of sweeteners for this recipe, granulated sugar plus a little extra for the cookies as well as molasses. You will also use powdered sugar for the frosting.
Flour: Use all-purpose flour for the best results along with baking soda to allow the cookies to properly rise in the oven.
Spices: These will be used to get the gingerbread flavor and have your kitchen smelling so good in no time. You will use a combination of ground ginger and cinnamon.
Frosting: Butter, cream cheese and powdered sugar are combined to make this delicious cream cheese frosting.
Holiday Sprinkles: You can use any kind of Christmas or Holiday themed sprinkles for decoration.
How To Make Gingerbread Cookies
Step 1. Set the oven to 350 degrees. Add the butter and sugar into a large mixing bowl and combine using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Put in the eggs and molasses and combine them again. Put in the flour, ground ginger, baking soda, and cinnamon and combine once more before separating into 6 equal portions.
Step 2. Roll each portion into balls before using the extra sugar to coat each one. Arrange the balls onto a cookie sheet about 2-inches apart. Depending, you may need to work in batches. Place the cookies into the oven for 13-15 minutes or until fully cooked and slightly cracked. Allow the cookies to cool for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool thoroughly. While the cookies are cooling, you can make the frosting.
Step 3. Add the butter and cream cheese into a large bowl and beat to combine. Gradually put the powdered sugar into the bowl and combine until fluffy. Scoop the prepared frosting into a piping bag with a round tip or put it into a Ziploc bag with the corner cut off. Begin adding the frosting in a spiral pattern on top of each cookie. Top with holiday sprinkles, serve, and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks:
- If you prefer to not use frosting for these cookies, you can skip the frosting and have a plain cookie and it will still taste incredible.
- Because the dough is made to have soft and chewy cookies, this would not be a good recipe for cookie cutters.
- I love using food coloring gel to color my frosting red and green for Christmas!
How To Store Gingerbread Cookies?
Place the leftover cookies in an airtight container in a single layer for the best storage method. You can keep these cookies stored for up to 3 days at room temperature without frosting. You can also keep them for up to 5 days in the fridge, but before you try to eat them, make sure they reach room temperature before serving.
More Gingerbread Recipes:
- Gingerbread Cheesecake
- Gingerbread Cream Horns (Air Fryer)
- Gingerbread Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- White Chocolate Gingerbread Balls
- Gingerbread Kiss Cookies
Gingerbread Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- ¾ cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 ¼ cup flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- Extra sugar for rolling
- 1 cup or 2 sticks butter softened
- 1 8 oz block cream cheese softened
- 1 lb. powdered sugar
- Holiday sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg and molasses and mix until combined.
- Next add in the flour, ground ginger, baking soda, and cinnamon until combined.
- Separate the dough into 6 equal portions and roll it into balls.
- Roll the balls in the extra sugar until well coated.
- Place the cookies on a large cookie sheet giving them plenty of space. You may need to do this in 2 batches.
- Bake the cookies for 13-15 minutes or until the cookies are cooked through and have a cracked appearance.
- Let the cookies cool on the pan for 10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting.
- In a large bowl cream together the 2 sticks of butter and the cream cheese.
- Next, slowly add in the powdered sugar and mix until well combined and fluffy.
- Place the frosting in a piping bag with a round tip or a Ziploc bag with the tip cut off.
- Pipe the frosting in a spiral pattern and add holiday sprinkles.