This Blueberry Orange Bread recipe is a deliciously moist quick bread that is bursting with flavor. The combination of oranges and blueberries gives this bread a special flavor of sweetness and tanginess and it makes it absolutely a bread you have to try.
Blueberry Orange Bread Recipe
This orange blueberry bread is an amazingly moist bread that has an absolutely amazing flavor. This bread is perfect for a delicious breakfast bread or it can be used as a dessert. Grill the bread to give it a unique flavor or serve it with your favorite coffee.
- All-purpose flour – All purpose flour is best but self rising flour will also work too.
- Salt- All baked goods do better with salt. It helps to bring out the flavor.
- Baking powder- If you are using self rising flour, you do not need to add baking powder.
- Baking soda – Baking soda helps to make the bread rise
- Oranges– You will need the orange zest and fresh orange juice for this recipe. It goes in both the glaze and the bread.
- Water- Adding the water to the bread recipe will help it to stay moist
- Unsalted butter- Always use unsalted butter so that you can control the amount of salt in a recipe.
- Egg- The egg can be straight from the refrigerator or room temperature
- Granulated sugar- The sugar helps to give this bread a sweetness but it is not too sweet.
- Fresh blueberries- Fresh blueberries are best to use in this recipe, but frozen can be used in a pinch. Make sure they are thawed and dried well if using frozen.
- Powdered sugar- Powdered sugar is the base of this glaze.
How to make Fresh Orange Blueberry Bread
Start with a preheated oven and prepare a loaf pan.
Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
In another bowl, mix together the orange juice, egg, water, butter and orange zest.
Stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until it is combined but do not over mix.
Gently fold in the blueberries and then pour the batter into the pan.
Bake the bread for about an hour until the bread is done.
While the bread is cooling, make the glaze by combining the orange juice and powdered sugar together for a thin glaze that can be drizzled.
Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake and allow it to drape down the sides.
Let the glaze set before slicing the cake.
Does Blueberry Bread Need a Glaze or Icing?
While the blueberry bread can be made without the glaze, I really love the orange flavored glaze over the bread. It adds a touch of sweetness to the bread without overpowering the bread.
Can I Use Frozen Fruit?
If you wanted to use frozen fruit in this bread you can. You will want to make sure that the blueberries are thawed well and dried. This will prevent the blueberries from adding too much moisture to the bread.
More Bread Recipes
- Banana Bread in a Jar
- Slow Cooker Cinnamon Raisin Bread
- Almond Lemon Bread Recipe
- Japanese Milk Bread
Blueberry Orange Bread Recipe
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp orange zest
- ⅓ c water
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 c granulated sugar
- ½ c orange juice
- ¾ c fresh blueberries
Orange Icing Glaze Ingredients
- 2 c powdered sugar
- 3½ tbsp fresh orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together orange juice, egg, water, butter and orange zest.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until combined.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Pour into greased pan.
- Bake on center rack of oven for approx. 1-hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
Orange Icing Glaze Instructions
- Mix orange juice with powdered sugar until combined and it is a thin enough consistency to drizzle. You may need to add additional orange juice if too thick.
- Drizzle over cooled cake, allowing it to drape down sides of bread. Let set up before slicing.