Boston Cream Poke Cake
This cake based on the yummy flavors of a Boston Cream Pie is cool, creamy and delicious. It is easy to make and a total fan favorite. Our Boston Cream Poke Cake is a moist yellow cake full of vanilla cream and topped with a chocolate frosting.
Boston Cream Pie Poke Cake
We are making this recipe incredibly easy by starting it off with a boxed cake mix. If you have a favorite vanilla cake recipe you’d like to make instead, go for it. I really love taking a boring box mix and turning it into something awesome. It’s impressive, tastes great and is easy for me to get done quick. All wins for me!
Where we don’t take a short cut though, is the frosting. This recipe is totally homemade but don’t worry, it isn’t difficult or time consuming.
What Is A Poke Cake?
A poke cake is a sheet cake that has wholes poked in it, usually with the handle of a wooden spoon or something similar, after is it baked. Then, it is filled with something sweet like a pudding, that will soak into the cake and fill it with extra flavor. If you haven’t tried making one yet, this is a great one to start with. We have a ton of poke cake recipes on our site that you will love.
Ingredients You Will Need
- Cake Mix: A yellow or vanilla cake mix can be used.
- Oil and Eggs: Per the instructions on the back of the cake mix box.
- Vanilla: Pure extract is much tastier than imitation.
- Vanilla Pudding: Instant pudding.
- Milk: For baking, any milk will do but I prefer whole milk.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: This goes with the pudding to thicken it and add sweetness.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- Powdered Sugar
- Heavy Cream
- Cream Cheese
How To Make A Boston Cream Poke Cake
1. Mix the yellow cake via the directions on the box.
2. Bake the cake in a 9×13″ baking dish and once finished, allow to cool.
3. Make the vanilla pudding by mixing dry pudding mix, milk and condensed milk.
4. Poke wholes in the cake after it has cooled completely.
5. Pour the pudding onto the cake letting it drip into the wholes.
6. Refrigerate the cake to set for about 2 hours.
Chocolate Frosting Directions
- Blend butter, cream cheese and vanilla in a mixing bowl.
- Add in a tablespoon heavy cream and stir again.
- Stir in and blend the powdered sugar one cup at a time.
- Add in the rest of the heavy cream and then the cocoa, stirring it in slowly until full mixed.
- Frost the poke cake after it’s finished chilling.
How To Store The Cake
Keep the cake refrigerated and enjoy within 3-4 days.
More Delicious Recipes
Boston Cream Poke Cake
- 1 Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 box Vanilla Pudding 6 ounce
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 4 Tablespoons of Butter – softened
- 4 ounces of Cream Cheese – softened
- 2 Tablespoons of Heavy Cream
- ½ teaspoon of Vanilla
- 4 cups of Powdered Sugar
- 4 Tablespoons of Cocoa
- In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, add the cake mix, and prepare according to package directions.
- Mix for two minutes, and bake as directed in a 9 X 13 dish.
- Remove the cake from the oven, and cool on a wire rack.
- While the Cake is cooling, place the Vanilla Pudding. 2 cups of milk and vanilla in the mixing bowl, and mix according to package directions.
- Add the Sweetened Condensed Milk and stir well.
- When cake is completely cool, take a wooden spoon, and poke holes across the cake.
- Pour the pudding mixture over the cake, letting it seep into the holes.
- Refrigerate the cake until completely chilled, about 2 hours.
- In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla, and blend with the whisk attachment until smooth and creamy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add 1 tablespoon of the heavy cream, and blend until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, blending between additions, and scraping the bowl down as needed.
- When all the powdered sugar has been added, add the remaining tablespoon of heavy cream, and add the cocoa a little at a time, until all the cocoa is added, and the frosting is blended smooth.
- Scrape down the bowl, and blend one more time, making sure the frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Remove the chilled cake from the refrigerator, and frost the cake with the chocolate Frosting.
- Place the cake back in the refrigerator until time to serve.
- Cut in 3 inch pieces, serve, and Enjoy!