The Apple Dapple Cake has a rich, buttery texture with juicy, tart apple chunks that burst with flavor in every bite. The cake smells amazing with cinnamon and sugar, that’s topped with a creamy vanilla frosting that adds sweetness to the warm spice. It’s a delicious dessert that you won’t be able to resist.
Apple Dapple Cake
This moist and flavorful apple cake will be the star of any gathering. Not only does this cake taste great, but it’s also easy to make and looks gorgeous when it comes out of the oven. This is one of those cakes that will remind you of your grandmother’s fresh-from-the-oven baking but with a modern twist and taste. It is comfort food in a cake.
What Is Apple Dapple Cake?
Apple Dapple Cake is a type of cake that typically consists of diced apples mixed into the batter, giving it a delicious and tart flavor. It is often spiced with cinnamon or other warm spices and topped with creamy vanilla frosting, making it the perfect dessert for any fall gathering.
The origins of apple dapple cake recipes are not completely clear, but many believe it originated in Southern cuisine, where apples are plentiful in the fall. It has since become a popular dessert all over the world and is often served at holiday gatherings and special occasions.
What You’ll Need
Cake Batter: For the cake base you will need all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, vegetable oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs. Add ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg for flavor.
Apples: Any type of baking apple you like.
Frosting: This vanilla frosting is butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla extract.
Optional: some people like to add nuts, like pecans or walnuts to their apple dapple cake.
How to Make Apple Dapple Cake
Make the batter: Shift the dry ingredients together. In another mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the vegetable oil, sugar, and light brown sugar. Add in the vanilla and the eggs, one egg at a time. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients. The batter will be very thick. Fold the apple into the batter using a wooden spoon. Spread the batter into a greased 9*13 inch baking pan. Bake in a preheated oven for up to 60 minutes.
Make the caramel sauce frosting: While the cake is baking, add the frosting ingredients into a saucepan. Heat over medium heat until it simmers. Remove from the heat, ons cake cooking rakc. and pour over the cake while it is still warm.
Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for true decadence.
What Type of Apples are Best
I went with a mix of apples for this recipe, but you can’t go wrong with good ol’ granny smith apples. Any firm, tart apple that’s great for baking will do the trick.
Can I use a different type of frosting for this cake?
While vanilla frosting is the classic choice for Apple Dapple Cake, you can definitely get creative and use a different type of frosting such as cream cheese or caramel to add even more flavor to your cake.
More Apple Cake Recipes
- Apple Cider Donut Cake
- Caramel Apple Dump Cake
- Layered Apple Spice Cake
- Caramel Apple Texas Sheet Cake
Apple Dapple Cake
- Preheat oven to 325F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the vegetable oil, granulated sugar, and brown sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed. Beat in the vanilla and the eggs one at a time.
- Add the dry mixture a little at a time, mixing well between each addition. Note: the batter will be very thick.
- Using a sturdy wooden spoon, fold the apples into the batter.
- Spread into the prepared 9×13-inch pan and bake at 325F for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, make the glaze. Add all the ingredients to a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring often, until the mixture begins to simmer. Remove from the and cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour the glaze over the cake while it’s still warm.
- Slice the cake and serve.