Breakfast Egg Rolls are an easy tasty breakfast that you can make ahead of time. They are very freezer-friendly and customizable as well. The whole family is going to love these!
Easy Breakfast Egg Roll Recipe
These breakfast egg rolls are a fun and creative way to start the day. They are filled with savory sausage and eggs, gooey cheese, and wrapped in a crispy egg roll wrapper. It’s going to be so hard to only have one or two. Plus, they are easy to prepare! I even make the filling ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator the night before, so all I have to do is roll the egg rolls and deep fry.
As a parent, figuring out what to feed your little ones can be hard. They often get tired of eating the same meals but are unwilling to try new things. I promise that these breakfast egg rolls are easy to love. Add their favorite meats and cheese, and they will be asking you to make them again!
What You’ll Need
Here are the ingredients I use to make this breakfast egg roll recipe. This is such a simple and cheap breakfast!
- Pork Sausage: Ground pork sausage that you will brown in a skillet before assembling the egg rolls.
- Red Onion: Dice the red onion so it mixes well with the other ingredients.
- Cheddar: You can buy this prepackaged or shred it yourself.
- Smoked Gouda: I don’t often see shredded gouda, but you can purchase a small block from the deli department in your local grocery store.
- Eggs – the eggs are scrambled with the other filling ingredients.
- Heavy Cream
- Salt & Black Pepper
- Butter: we use unsalted butter, but salted butter is fine to use as well.
- Egg Roll Wrappers: I often find these in the produce or freezer section at the store.
- Vegetable Oil: Make sure you have plenty for frying.
How to Make Breakfast Egg Rolls
Never made egg rolls before? No problem! It is much easier than you think. I have provided you with step-by-step instructions so you can successfully make this recipe.
- Brown Sausage and Onion. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until no longer pink. Then, add red onion and saute for an additional 2-3 minutes. Remove from the skillet and place in a bowl to cool.
- Mix Cheeses. Combine cheddar and gouda with the sausage mixture. Set it aside.
- Prep Eggs. Whisk eggs, heavy cream, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl until well combined.
- Cook Eggs. In the same skillet used for the sausage, melt the butter. Pour in the egg mixture and scramble until fully cooked.
- Combine Eggs and Sausage. Add the cooked eggs to the sausage and stir well.
- Assemble Egg Rolls. Place an egg roll wrapper on a clean surface with one corner facing you. Spoon the filling into the lower third of the wrapper.
- Roll and Seal. Roll the bottom corner over the filling and tuck it in. Fold in the side corners and then roll it closed. Dip your finger in water to seal the edges. Repeat this process for the remainder of the egg roll filling.
- Fry. Add vegetable oil and heat it to 350 degrees F using a deep skillet or pot. Add a couple of breakfast egg rolls at a time and fry until golden brown or about 2-3 minutes per side. Place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
- Serve. Enjoy warm with salsa!
How to Store Leftovers
Store extra breakfast egg rolls in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in the oven or refry until crispy. You can also store them in the freezer in a Ziploc bag for up to 3 months.
Tips and Tricks
- You can use any combination of cheeses that you prefer. Get creative! Some of my favorite ideas are; pepper jack, swiss, and fiesta/taco blend.
- Add more veggies like red/green bell peppers, mushrooms, or spinach.
- Instead of sausage, you can use crumbled bacon or diced ham.
- These breakfast egg rolls can be enjoyed plain or with a variety of dips, including sriracha, salsa, sour cream, or maple syrup.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
- Sausage Breakfast Muffins
- Overnight Croissant Breakfast Casserole
- Breakfast Burritos
- Crescent Bacon Breakfast Ring
- Breakfast Pigs in a Blanket
Breakfast Egg Rolls
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the pork sausage until browned and cooked through, add the red onion and saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in the cheddar and gouda cheeses, transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, salt, and black pepper.
- Using the same skillet used for the pork sausage, melt the butter over medium heat. Pour in the egg mixture and scramble until cooked through. Remove from the heat.
- Add the scramble eggs to the sausage mixture and mix until well combined.
- To assemble the egg rolls, place an egg roll wrapper on a clean surface, with one corner facing you. Spoon a portion of the filling onto the lower third of the wrapper.
- Roll the bottom corner of the wrapper over the filling, tucking it tightly Fold in the side corners, then continue to roll up the wrapper until completely sealed. Use a bit of water to seal the edge if necessary. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.
- In a deep pot or skillet, heat vegetable oil to 350°F (175°C). Carefully add the egg rolls, a few at a time, and fry until golden brown and crispy. About 2-3 minutes per side. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve the breakfast egg rolls warm with salsa and enjoy!