These homemade Candied Almonds are a delightful treat that’s perfect for the holidays or any time of the year! They are sweet, crunchy, and so easy to make. Enjoy them as a tasty snack, or turn them into a Christmas gift for friends and family.
The Best Roasted Sugared Almonds
Want your house to smell of pumpkin spice? These candied almonds are sugary sweet and have a delicious pumpkin flavor. It’s one of my favorite treats during the holiday season. I used to buy them all the time, and with this recipe, I can make them at home anytime I want.
Nuts make a fantastic snack. They are full of protein; just a handful will fill you up. The sugar coating is delectable and adds so much flavor to the raw almonds. It takes an hour to bake them, and in that time, your house will smell of tasty brown sugar, pumpkin, and cinnamon.
What You’ll Need
All you need to make these yummy candied almonds are 6 ingredients. It doesn’t get any simpler when it comes to holiday treats.
- Egg White: I like to make this from fresh eggs, but you can also use a carton of egg whites. I find that it is harder to get the correct consistency with the carton.
- Vanilla: I like the flavor of pure vanilla extract.
- Raw Almonds: You can substitute roasted or salted almonds, but I find they alter the texture and flavor of the recipe.
- Dark Brown Sugar: Light brown sugar can also be used, but I prefer the flavor of dark brown sugar.
- White Sugar
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Sea Salt
How to Make Candied Almonds
Even though these take an hour to bake, prep time is so quick and easy! Plus, I love the aroma that the candied almonds give off. It reminds me of a pumpkin candle or a pumpkin spice latte.
- Step 1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Step 2. Prepare a large baking sheet by spraying it generously with non-stick cooking spray.
- Step 3. Combine the egg white and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg and vanilla until it becomes thick and frothy. This takes about 3 minutes.
- Step 4. Add the raw almonds and stir until evenly coated.
- Step 5. In a separate bowl, whisk brown sugar, white sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and salt until combined.
- Step 6. Gradually pour the sugar mixture over the almonds. Stir until coated.
- Step 7. Pour the almonds onto the baking sheet. Be sure that they are in an even layer.
- Step 8. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes. The almonds will be dry and crispy when ready.
- Step 9. Allow to cool completely before enjoying.
Substitutions and Variations
You can customize this recipe to make it your own! Here are some suggestions for you to try.
- Nuts: Instead of almonds, you can use other varieties for candied nuts such as cashews, walnuts, pecans, or a combination of your favorites. Be sure to use raw nuts for best results.
- Flavor: Instead of pumpkin spiced almonds, you can use ground cinnamon, a combo of cinnamon and nutmeg, chili powder for smoky almonds, or cayenne pepper for a kick.
How to Store Candied Almonds
There are several ways to store candied almonds. They will stay fresh at room temperature for up to 2 weeks if stored in an airtight container or bag. Otherwise, they will become soft and soggy. You can also store them in the refrigerator for up to 1 month or the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator for 24 hours before eating them. I also recommend letting them sit at room temperature for the best texture.
More Holiday Treat Recipes
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Beat together the egg white and vanilla with a hand or stand mixer in a medium-sized mixing bowl on medium-high speed until frothy and thick, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the almonds until well coated.
- Whisk together the dark brown sugar, white sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and sea salt in a separate bowl until combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the almond mixture, stirring well to coat the almonds evenly.
- Pour the almonds out onto the prepared baking sheet in an even layer.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour, stirring well every 10 to 15 minutes until the nuts are crispy and dry.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before serving.