This carrot cake roll is everything you love about a traditional carrot cake, but rolled up to make a fun dessert. Filled with a delicious cream cheese frosting. Perfect for Spring and Easter!
Carrot Cake Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting Filling
I love carrot cake, I love cream cheese frosting even more! The combination of them together is just perfect.
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Baking Powder
- Granulated Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Shredded Carrots
- Cream Cheese
- Powdered Sugar
How To Make A Carrot Cake Roll
- As with any cake roll, you don’t need a ton of batter for the cake part. Just simply mix up the cake ingredients, and then spread the mixture out in a parchment-covered jelly roll pan. Bake until it’s cooked through.
- First, while your cake is in the oven, lay out a piece of parchment paper or (clean) kitchen towel on a work surface. Cover it generously powdered sugar (about 1/4 cup). Make sure it’s completely covered with powdered sugar. This will keep everything from sticking!
- Then once the cake is baked, remove it from the oven. Then immediately — and very carefully, transfer it to a heat-proof surface. Carefully and quickly roll up the cake until it looks like the image below. Then let it cool completely. While the cake is cooling, go ahead and make your cream cheese icing.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the cake, being sure to spread right up to the long edges. Then, simply roll it back up, as tight as you can, peeling away the paper or towel as you go.
- Cover it in plastic wrap, and chill it for 30 minutes to one hour, until the filling is firmed up.
- Dust it with powdered sugar and extra frosting/shredded carrots (if preferred), slice, and serve.
Carrot Cake Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting
Carrot Cake Ingredients
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrots about 2-3 medium carrots
- powdered sugar for rolling about 1/4 cup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously spray a 10×15 in jelly roll pan with cooking spray, line with parchment paper. Spray paper with cooking spray and lightly flour it. Set aside.
- Beat eggs on high for 3 minutes. Add the granulated sugar and beat for 3-4 minutes, on high until pale and frothy. Add vanilla extract and oil, mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients, until just combined, Do not over mix. Stir in carrots.
- Transfer mixture into prepared parchment paper pan, spread the mixture using a spatula. Bake for 15-16 minutes until done, but still soft.
- While the carrot cake is baking, line another sheet of parchment paper or use a kitchen towel and sprinkle a generous amount of powdered sugar covering it. When cake is finished baking, take it out of the oven and quickly flip it over the paper or towel, sprinkled with powdered sugar. Starting at the short end, roll the cake with the paper or towel. Let it cool completely for a few hours.
Cream Cheese Frosting Filling
- While cake is cooling, make the cream cheese frosting. In the bowl, beat butter and cheese until smooth using a hand mixer or stand. Add vanilla, then powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- When cake is completely cool, carefully unroll it. Spread cream cheese frosting evenly on top and then roll tightly. Chill cake roll for 1 hour, so it firms up a little. Dust the top with powdered sugar.
- Slice and enjoy!