Red Velvet Cake Roll
This Red Velvet Cake Roll recipe is moist, decadent, delicious, covered with Chocolate Ganache and is topped with crushed peppermint.
Red Velvet Cake Roll
This Red Velvet Cake Roll Recipe is a great dessert to share with your friends and family and may become a favorite in your household. Also very quick and simple to put together. It takes just under 15 minutes to prepare, so you will have a great dessert in no time.
Anything made with Red Velvet is out of this world! If you are looking for some other yummy recipes that use Red Velvet, here are a few suggestions. This cake that features cream cheese frosting is an absolute dream. If cookies are more your jam, these Crinkle Cookies definitely won’t disappoint. Did you know that you can actually enjoy Red Velvet recipes for breakfast? Our Cinnamon Rolls are to die for!
Now ready to make our Red Velvet Log Roll?
- Flour- You can use All-purpose flour for the best results.
- Hershey cocoa powder- This will be added to your batter for a chocolatey flavor.
- Baking powder- This will allow your ingredients to rise in the oven.
- Salt- This will bring out the flavors in your recipe.
- Eggs– You need to have your eggs at room temperature.
- Sugar- Every great dessert adds sugar to the recipe.
- Canola oil- You can use vegetable oil as a substitute.
- Buttermilk- You can use milk with a bit of vinegar as a substitute.
- Vinegar– You will use distilled white vinegar for this recipe.
- Red gel food coloring- Be sure to use the gel and not the liquid food coloring.
- Vanilla extract- Use pure vanilla for the best flavoring.
- Cream cheese- You will need this softened or at room temperature.
- Butter- You will need unsalted to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Powdered sugar- This sugar is the best for homemade frosting or icing.
- Chocolate chips– You will need semi-sweet chocolate chips for this recipe.
- Heavy whipping cream- This will be mixed into your ganache to help with the consistency.
- Peppermint candy- You will need to crush your candies to place on top of the log.
How to Make a Red Velvet Cake Roll
Set your oven to 350 degrees and use parchment paper to line the sheet and spray evenly with Pam.
Grab two small bowls and separate the eggs. Have the yolks in one and egg whites in the other.
Add together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl and combine.
Add in the yolks, sugar, oil, buttermilk, vinegar, and food coloring into a large bowl and combine until you have a thick consistency.
Beat the eggs in a separate medium bowl until stiff peaks form.
Slowly fold and combine the yolk mixture and egg whites together until combined.
Add in the dry ingredients and slowly fold in to combine.
Add the batter onto the prepared sheet and evenly smooth out.
While you are waiting to bake your cake, place a clean kitchen towel out on the counter and dust it with powdered sugar.
Put your cake in the oven for 12-14 minutes or until the cake springs back when you touch it.
Take out the cake from the oven and flip onto the kitchen towel.
Peel off the parchment paper.
Slowly begin to roll the cake into a log using the kitchen towel.
Set onto a wire rack to cool thoroughly.
While your cake is cooling, begin to make your filling.
Add in the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar to a bowl and use a hand mixer to mix until combined and creamy.
Unroll the cake from the towel and remove the towel.
Add the filling onto the cake and evenly smooth out.
Roll it back up again slowly and use plastic wrap to wrap around the log and then set in the fridge.
Pour in the heavy cream into a small pot and heat on medium to high until it begins to simmer.
Add the chocolate chips into a heat-safe bowl and pour the cream over top.
Let sit for 1 minute before stirring until smooth.
Take out the cake log from the fridge and place it on a wire rack.
Dump the ganache over the top of the log and sprinkle some crushed peppermint candy on top after.
Cut and enjoy!
What Does Red Velvet Taste Like?
Red Velvet is a very unique type of cake flavoring. Some people say that there is nothing really to compare it to. The only way to describe the flavor of it is by saying it is a mix of vanilla and chocolate. Red Velvet is a richer flavor than most and tastes amazing.
What Kind of Pan Do I Need for This?
So to be able to roll the cake into the log shape, you will not be using a regular cake pan. You will be using a flat cookie sheet for this recipe. You will line it with parchment paper and then evenly spray with Pam to have an easier time removing the cake from the pan.
More Red Velvet Desserts
- Mini Red Velvet Cheesecakes
- Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
- Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- RV Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls
Red Velvet Cake Roll Recipe
- ¾ C flour
- ¼ C hershey cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ C sugar
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp buttermilk
- 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 5 tbsp red gel food coloring
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 - 8 oz cream cheese
- ¼ C unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 2 C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 C semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ C heavy whipping cream
- 1 C crushed peppermint candy
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, spray Pam baking spray onto the parchment paper
- Using two small bowls, separate the eggs, 1 bowl for the egg whites and the second bowl for the yolks
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt
- Using a large bowl, beat together the egg yolks, sugar, canola oil,
- buttermilk, white vinegar and red food coloring until combined and thick
- Using another medium bowl, beat the egg yolks until stiff peaks form
- Gently fold in the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites until combined
- Gently fold in the dry ingredients until combined
- Pour the batter onto the cookie sheet and spread evenly
- While cake is baking, lay out a clean kitchen town and sprinkle with powdered sugar
- Bake in the oven for 12-14 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched
- Once cake is removed from oven, flip the cake over onto the clean kitchen towel
- Remove the parchment paper from the cake
- Carefully roll the cake up into a log with the kitchen towel
- Place onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely
- While the cake is cooling, make the filling.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar until combined and creamy
- Unroll the cake and remove the towel
- Evenly spread the filling onto the cake
- Roll the cake back up carefully and wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge
- Heat the heavy cream in a small pot over medium to high heat until the cream starts to simmer
- Pour the cream over the chocolate chips in a heat safe bowl
- Allow the cream to sit for 1 minute before whisking until smooth
- Place the chilled rolled cake onto a wire rack
- Pour the ganache over the rolled cake
- Sprinkle the crushed peppermint candy on top
- Cut and enjoy!