This Lemon Cake Roll is a soft and and moist lemon cake with a delicious cream cheese filling. Perfect for any occasion, this cake roll recipe is a lemon lovers dream!
Lemon Swiss Roll
Let me tell you about the absolute amazingness that is a lemon Swiss roll! Picture this: a soft and fluffy sponge cake, delicately infused with refreshing lemon flavor, and generously slathered with a luscious, tangy filling. It’s like a burst of sunshine in every bite! I don’t know about you, but just thinking about it makes me want to rush to the kitchen and whip up a batch right away. There’s something about the combination of zingy citrus and sweet, pillowy cake that’s simply irresistible.
We also have a Lemon Blueberry Cake Roll with a homemade lemon cake with a cream cheese blueberry filling that you will love as well.
What You’ll Need
Lemon cake mix and the ingredients to make the cake, eggs, water, oil and a lemon.
Cream cheese filling: Softened cream cheese, Cool Whip (or make our homemade whipped cream) and marshmallow fluff.
How to Make Lemon Roll Cake
Make the sponge cake: Using a stand mixer, beat, on high speed, the eggs until they become pale yellow and thick. Add the rest of the cake ingredients and beat on medium speed. Spoon the cake mixture between the prepared pan or jelly roll pan and bake until the cake springs back when touched.
Roll the cakes: While the cakes are still hot, carefully begin to roll the cake into a log. Repeat with the 2nd cake. Allow the cake to cool on a rack for 15 minutes before placing in the refrigerator for an hour.
Make the Filling: Beat the filing ingredients together until combined and forming stiff peaks using a whisk attachment. Scrape down the bowl with a rubber spatula. Remove the cakes from the fridge, carefully unroll them and spread the filling between the cakes. Carefully fold the cakes back up and place them back into the refrigerator, seam side down, overnight.
When ready to serve, dust powdered sugar on top and dollop some cool whip on top. Enjoy!
Tips, Tricks, and Variations to This Lemon Dessert
Perfecting the Sponge: To achieve a light and fluffy sponge, make sure to beat the eggs and sugar until they are thick and pale in color. This step incorporates air into the batter, resulting in a tender cake.
Zesty Lemon Filling: For a burst of intense lemon flavor, try adding freshly grated lemon zest to your filling. It will enhance the tanginess and bring a vibrant citrus aroma to each bite. You can add lemon syrup, more lemon juice or lemon extract to the cake batter.
Rolling Technique: To prevent cracks while rolling the cake, gently roll it up with a clean kitchen towel or parchment paper while it’s still warm. This will help the cake retain its shape and create those beautiful swirls.
Experiment with Fillings: While lemon is a classic choice, feel free to get creative with your fillings. You can try variations like raspberry jam, whipped cream with fresh berries, like blueberry, lemon curd, or even a decadent chocolate ganache. The options are endless!
Decorate with Flair: Once your lemon Swiss roll is assembled, you can give it an extra touch of elegance by dusting it with powdered sugar, adding a sprinkle of lemon zest on top, or garnishing it with fresh berries or mint leaves. Let your imagination run wild!
Make-ahead and Storage: Lemon Swiss rolls can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for a day or two. Just make sure to wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or an airtight container to maintain their freshness. They also freeze well, so you can slice and freeze individual portions for future enjoyment.
More Rolled Cake Recipes
Lemon Cake Roll
Cake ingredients :
- 6 large eggs
- 15.25 ounce box lemon cake mix
- ½ cup cold water
- ¼ cup Canola Oil
- 1 large lemon zested and juiced
Cream Cheese Filling ingredients :
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 7 ounces Marshmallow Fluff Jar
- 1 ½ Cups Cool Whip
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray 1 10 x 15 and a 12 x 8 baking sheet with pam baking spray. Line a sheet of parchment paper into the pan and trim the overhang edges.
- Spray the parchment paper as well with the baking spray.
- Using a standing mixer, beat the 6 eggs for about 8 minutes until they appear to be a pale yellow and thick.
- Add in the cake mix, water, oil, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Gradually begin to mix the ingredients together slowly before increasing the mixing speed.
- Divide the cake batter evenly and place both trays into the oven for about 10-14 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Place two clean sheets of parchment paper onto the counter.
- Once the timer goes off and cakes are removed from the oven, instantly turn one cake upside down onto one of the parchment papers. Remove the original sheet of parchment paper from the cake where it was baked.
- While the cake is still hot, carefully begin to roll the cake up into a log.
- Repeat steps with second cake.
- Allow the cake to cool to room temperature for 15 minutes before placing into the fridge for one hour.
- Using a large bowl and a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese until creamy and smooth Add the entire 7 oz container of the marshmallow fluff into the bowl and beat until combined Beat in the cool whip until combined and thick.
- Once the hour is up for the rolled cakes, remove them from the fridge and very carefully, unroll the cakes.
- Spread half of the filling onto the cakes and carefully reroll the cakes.
- Place back into the fridge for overnight.
- When ready to serve, dust powdered sugar on top and dollop some cool whip on top Enjoy!