If you have never had the pleasure of enjoying a rolled cake, you are truly missing out! This Strawberry Roll Cake is a delicious and fluffy cake layered with a cream cheese frosting. This is the perfect Valentine’s Day gift, but also great for any occasion.
The Best Strawberry Cake Roll
Strawberry Cake by itself is amazing and when is topped with frosting and rolled, it’s even better. The cream cheese frosting is so smooth and creamy and when combined with that spongey strawberry cake, the textures become amazing.
Key Ingredients You Need
- Strawberry Cake Mix: You can use the box recipe for the cake mix or make your own homemade recipe.
- Canola Oil: Using Canola or Vegetable Oil will give the recipe a more tender and moist texture. When combined together with eggs it will add an airy and fluffy consistency overall.
- Powdered Sugar: This is the best sugar to use when needing a frosting with a smooth consistency.
- Cream Cheese: Use softened or room temperature cream cheese to allow ingredients to blend more easily. Using cream cheese in your filling will enhance the flavor and give it a more fluffy and delectable texture.
- Butter: It is best to use unsalted butter for this recipe. Using unsalted butter will give you control of the flavoring in the recipe. This will allow the rawest and natural flavor to come out in the recipe.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla is used not only to add an aroma to the recipe but also to enhance the flavor as well for a sweeter and more delicious recipe.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: This is a great thickening agent and when used at room temperature it will prevent the recipe from cracking.
How To Make Strawberry Roll Cake
Step 1. Set the oven to 350 degrees and use baking spray to grease a large cookie sheet and use parchment paper to line the top. Add the eggs into a standing mixer and beat for 6 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the cake mix, water, and oil into the bowl and combine. Pour the batter into the prepared sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes until the cake bounces back when you touch it.
Step 2. Place a large sheet of parchment paper onto a counter and top with a light dusting of powdered sugar. Take the cake out and flip it onto the sheet. Take the parchment paper off the back of the rolled cake and use the bottom sheet to gently roll the cake into a tight log. Let the log rest for 1 hour before placing it in the fridge to chill.
Step 1. Add the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream into a standing mixer and combine until smooth and stiff with peaks. Add in 1 cup of frosting into a piping bag and take the cake out of the fridge and slowly unroll. Spread the 1 1/2 cup of frosting don’t the cake. Roll the cake back up and chill in the fridge until firm.
Step 2. Take the cake out of the fridge and cut it into pieces. Use the rest of the frosting in the bowl to frost the cake. Make a squiggle line of frosting onto the top middle of the cake using the piping bag. Set in the fridge to chill and harden before slicing and enjoying.
Can I Make The Strawberry Cake Mix From Scratch?
Yes, you can make the strawberry cake from scratch. Using a box cake mix can save you a lot of time and cut the time to make it in half. However, a homemade strawberry cake will work just fine.
How To Roll The Strawberry Rolled Cake?
You will be using parchment paper to roll the cake. Once the cake is baked, you will flip it onto the parchment paper and use it to guide the cake and roll it into a log. Once the cake is rolled, it will need to be chilled until you are ready to add the frosting.
More Rolled Cake Recipes:
Strawberry Cake Roll
- 1 box strawberry cake mix
- 6 large eggs
- ½ C water
- ¼ C canola oil
- ¼ C powdered sugar
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese – softened
- ½ C unsalted butter – softened
- 3 ½ C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a large cookie sheet with baking spray and line parchment paper on top. This will help keep the parchment paper in place
- Using a standing mixer, beat the eggs until the thick and light color, about 6 minutes
- Mix in the cake mix, water, and oil until combined
- Pour the batter into the cookie sheet and spread evenly
- Place the cookie sheet into the oven and bake for 12-14 minutes or until the cake bounces back when lightly touched
- Place a larger sheet of parchment paper onto the counter and dust powdered sugar on top
- Remove the cake from the oven and flip it over onto the parchment paper
- Remove the parchment paper from the back of the rolled cake
- Use the end of the bottom parchment paper and carefully roll up the cake into a log
- Allow the cake to cool on the counter for 1 hour before moving into the fridge
- Using a standing mixer, beat the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream until combined, smooth, and holds a peak
- Scoop about 1 C of the frosting into the piping bag and set it aside
- Remove the rolled cake from the fridge and gently unroll the cake
- Spread 1 ½ C of frosting onto the cake and gently roll the cake back up
- Place into the fridge to firm up
- Remove cake from fridge and place onto a cutting board
- Using the remaining frosting in the bowl, frost the entire rolled cake
- Using the piping bag, pipe a squiggle line of frosting on the top center
- Place back into the fridge and allow the frosting to firm up before cutting into slices and enjoy!
- 1 medium piping bag fitted with large star tip