Cherry Garcia Cake is stacked with layers of vanilla cherry cake and homemade cherry icing. This cake looks like it came straight from a bakery!
I love a tall layered cake – they are so great for a birthday or any celebration. Looking for more to try? A few favorites are Banana Split Cake, Apple Pie Cake, Banana Pudding Cake. You can’t go wrong with any of them.
Cherry Garcia Cake
This is one of those desserts that looks so nice that it seems intimidating. Trust me, this cake is not nearly as difficult as it seems. But that doesn’t mean everyone that tries it won’t be thoroughly impressed!
- Vanilla Cake Mix
- Cherry Extract
- Chocolate Chips
- Powdered Sugar
- Red Food Coloring
- Heavy Cream
- Chocolate Shaving
How To Make a Cherry Chocolate Chip Cake
To make this, we’ll start with our boxed cake mix. Just mix that with the rest of the cake ingredients besides the chocolate chips and cherries. Once it’s all mixed up, gently fold in the cherries and chocolate.
Separate your cake into three round cake pans and bake for about 30 minutes. Make sure to take it out when you can poke it with a toothpick and it comes out clean. B careful not to overcook or your cake will be dry.
When your cakes are cooled and ready to frost you can make your cherry icing. All you need to do is mix all the ingredients until they form stiff peaks.
Layer each cake with a layer of your red cherry frosting.
Once you get to the last layer, go ahead and make your vanilla frosting by mixing your ingredients just like the cherry frosting. Then, cover the entire cake.
To make it extra pretty and festive, add some dollops of frosting around the edges and top them with a stemmed cherry. Sprinkle some chocolate shavings on top as well, and they place chocolate chips around the base of the cake.
The combination of cherries and chocolate chips is one of my favorites in a dessert. Everyone who takes a bite of this cake is going to love it. Enjoy!
Cherry Garcia Cake
- 2 boxes French vanilla cake mix
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups Chopped Maraschino cherries
- 2 cups Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
Cherry Frosting Ingredients
- 2 cups unsalted butter softened
- 4 cups Powdered sugar
- 3 teaspoons Cherry extract
- 3-6 drops red gel food coloring
Vanilla Frosting Ingredients
- 3 cups unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Chocolate shaving sprinkles
- 1/2 cup Maraschino cherries with stem
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray cake pans with pam baking spray.
- Using a standing mixer, beat all cake ingredients together until combined and well mixed.
- Fold in the chopped cherries and chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly between the three cake pans.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean in the center.
- Allow to cool completely on the counter.
- Using a standing mixer, beat together all cherry frosting ingredients for 5-7 minutes or until frosting is smooth and combined with stiff peaks.
- Scoop into a bowl and set aside.
- Clean out the mixer bowl.
- Using the vanilla frosting ingredients, beat together in the standing mixer for 5-7 minutes or until frosting is smooth and combined with stiff peaks.
- Scoop 1 1/2 C of the white frosting into the piping bag and set aside.
Building the cake directions
- Using the cake leveler, cut the domes off the cake rounds to make them leveled.
- Place one cake round onto the cake board.
- Scoop 1 1/2 C of the cherry frosting onto the top of the cake and smooth evenly with the angled spatula.
- Place another cake round on top of the first one.
- Scoop another 1 1/2 C of the cherry frosting onto the second cake round and smooth evenly.
- Place the third cake round on top of the second one.
- Scoop remaining white frosting onto the top of the cake and frost entire cake.
- Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips around the bottom of the cake.
- Pipe dollops of frosting along the top of the cake.
- Sprinkle the chocolate shavings onto the dollops.
- Top the dollops with Cherries.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
- 3 9-inch round cake pans
- 1 10-inch round cake board
- 1 Cake leveler
- 1 angled spatula
- 1 large angled spatula
- 1 large piping bag fitted with large star tip
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.