Chicken Fajita Meal Prep Bowls
These Chicken Fajita Meal Prep Bowls are loaded with marinated chicken, colorful veggies, black beans and cilantro lime rice. An easy and healthy lunch option and it makes a great family meal too!
I am totally guilty of grabbing the first thing I can find for lunch on a super busy day, whether it’s a sandwich or a handful of cookies! I started doing meal prep to try and make sure that I always have a balanced meal on hand and it’s been a total success.
These chicken fajita meal prep bowls are easy to put together and they’re the perfect grab and go lunch option for work, school, or any other activity where you need a quick meal.
This recipe starts with the chicken. The chicken is marinated in a zesty combination of lime juice, olive oil and spices. The chicken needs to marinate for at least 20 minutes, but you can marinate for up to 8 hours if you prefer. While the chicken is marinating, I prepare the rest of the ingredients like slicing the veggies and cooking the rice.
I like to grill my chicken on a grill or grill pan for a smoky flavor, but if you don’t have a grill, simply use a large pan on the stovetop. After the chicken is done cooking, the peppers and onions are added to the pan and cooked until tender.
When the chicken and veggies are done, I add them to meal prep containers along with black beans, cilantro lime rice, and fresh salsa. The cilantro lime rice has just a handful of ingredients and takes minutes to make. If you’re really pressed for time, you can use a minute rice, or pre-cooked rice to speed up the process.
The customization options are endless with these chicken fajita meal prep bowls. You can swap out the black beans for pinto beans, use quinoa instead of rice, add corn or a dollop of sour cream. So many different ways to have a delicious meal!
I also love to serve this recipe as a main course for dinner, my family loves it! Simply follow the recipe as directed but skip the part about portioning it out into containers. Serve these chicken fajitas with tortillas and enjoy!
- For the fajitas:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ⅓ cup olive oil + 1 tablespoon, divided use
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups sliced bell peppers, any color
- 1 cup sliced onion
- For the cilantro lime rice:
- 3 cups cooked rice (cook in salted water)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- To assemble the bowls:
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup salsa
- optional garnish: lime slices and cilantro leaves
- In a large bowl, whisk together the ⅓ cup olive oil, lime juice, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin.
- Add the chicken breasts and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Preheat a grill pan or large frying pan over medium heat.
- Place the chicken in the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes per side or until cooked through. Cook time will depend on the thickness of your chicken breasts.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and wipe out the pan with a paper towel. Place the chicken on a plate and cover with foil.
- Add the peppers and onions to the pan along with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are browned and softened.
- Place the rice in a large bowl; add the lime juice and cilantro and stir until combined.
- Place ¾ cup of rice in the bottom of each of 4 meal prep containers.
- Divide the chicken, vegetables and black beans evenly among the containers.
- Add 2 tablespoons of salsa to each container. Garnish with lime slices and cilantro leaves if desired.
- Cover the containers and store in the fridge until you're ready to eat them, up to 4 days.
Check it out…
Check out The Can’t Cook Meal Planner – two full weeks of no-prep, easy meals!