This colorful unicorn cupcakes recipe promises to take your cupcake game to a whole new level. They are a feast for the eyes and a treat for the taste buds.
As you know, there are lots and lots of incredible recipes on this site. You can use the search bar in the upper right corner of your screen to search for pretty much any type of food you can think of. Since this recipe is a unicorn theme, you can’t miss some of the other colorful unicorn goodies we’re pretty proud of. Unicorn Whoopie Pies, a unicorn bundt cake and of course, unicorn poop cookies are all eye-popping.
Colorful Unicorn Cupcakes
I hope you don’t panic about the skill needed to decorate these cupcakes like the photos. Even though they look too gorgeous for an ordinary home baker to decorate, all you need are the right icing tips and patience.
Head to either Walmart or Hobby Lobby or Micheals armed with your list of icing tips you’ll need. Of course, you can always order them from Amazon as well. They aren’t expensive and you’ll use them again and again for all sorts of other desserts.
A Few (Possibly) Uncommon Supplies Used In Our Colorful Unicorn Cupcakes
1. Wilton icing tip 2D
2. Wilton icing tip #2
3. White fondant
4. Pink fondant
5. Light Green, Hot Pink, Neon Blue and Purple Nonpareil’s and sprinkle Jimmies (found at Michaels)
6. Teal, Pink, Purple, Leaf green gel food coloring
7. 1 disposable piping bag with a large round tip
8. 1 disposable piping bag with a large star tip
9. 1 disposable piping bag with a medium star tip
10. 1 disposable piping bag with small star tip
11. 1 disposable piping bag with a Wilton tip #195
12. 1 package of unicorn horn royal icing transfers found at Hobby Lobby
Be certain to use only gel food coloring where it’s called for. Liquid food coloring won’t product colors nearly vibrant enough when you’re baking something. Additionally, liquid coloring may affect your recipe negatively.
Unicorn ears ingredients
- 1 White fondant container
- 1 Pink fondant container
- Wilton icing tip 2D
- Wilton icing tip #2
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 1 rolling pin
- 1 cutting board
Unicorn sprinkle mix:
- 1 pouch of Light green Hot Pink, Neon Blue and Purple Nonpareil's and sprinkle Jimmies (bought from Michaels craft stores)
- Makes 18 Cupcakes
- 1 box of french vanilla cake mix cake mix
- 3 large eggs room temp
- 1/2 C of softened unsalted sweet cream butter
- 1 C whole milk
- 1 TBSP pure vanilla extract
- teal Pink, and Purple gel food coloring
- 3 bowls
- white cupcake liners
- cupcake pan
- 2 C unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 5 C powder sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 6-10 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- pink purple and leaf green gel food coloring
- 1 disposable piping bag with large round tip
- 1 disposable piping bag with a large star tip
- 1 disposable piping bag with medium star tip
- 1 disposable piping bag with small star tip
- 1 disposable piping bag with a wilton tip #195
- 1 package of unicorn horn royal icing transfers found at Hobby Lobby
- Sprinkle some powdered sugar onto your cutting board and rolling pin
- Roll out half of both colors of fondant to be 1/8 thick
- Using the 2D icing tip, cut out 36 white round circles
- Using the #2 icing tip, cut out 36 pink round circles
- Using the #2 tip again, cut the pink circle a tad bit smaller
- Using a paintbrush, brush a really small amount of water onto the white circles
- Place the pink circles into the center of the white
- Carefully pick up the white circle and pinch the bottom of the ears
- Set aside and repeat with remaining 35 circles
- Allow to dry for 2 hours before starting your cupcakes
Unicorn Sprinkle Directions
- Combine all sprinkles into a sealed container and shake until combined
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line muffin pan with the white cupcake liners
- In a medium bowl, add the cake mix, butter, milk, and vanilla extract and stir until combined
- Scoop 1 tbsp of each color into the cupcake liners in layers
- Use a knife and swirl the colors slightly
- Bake in the oven for about 18-20 minutes.
- Pull out the cupcakes and allow to cool before frosting.
- Using a stand mixer, combine all ingredients and mix on medium speed.
- Mix until you see stiffed peaks in your frosting.
- Once the frosting is made, split it into 4 bowls
- Add about 2-4 drops of each color:
- Add the Purple food coloring to the first bowl.
- Add the Pink food coloring to the second bowl.
- Leave the third bowl white
- Add a few drops fo the green food coloring into the last bowl
- Scoop the purple frosting, leaving about 1/4 C in the bowl, into the piping bag with the round tip
- Scoop one spoonful of the Pink frosting onto one side of the piping bag fitted with all three size star tips
- Scoop one spoonful of the Purple frosting onto the other side of the piping bag fitted with the small star tip
- Scoop white frosting into the same piping bag as the pink and purple
- Scoop white frosting into the two other piping bags with just the pink frosting
- Scoop the green frosting into the piping bag with tip number 195
- Using the round purple piping bag, pipe a large dollop of frosting onto the cupcake
- Dip the cupcake into the sprinkles mixtures
- Pipe another dollop of purple frosting onto the top of the sprinkled frosting
- Using the large star tip, pipe a dollop of frosting in the top center
- Place the unicorn horn into the center of the frosting
- Place a ear on both sides of the horn
- Using the smaller star tips, pipe dollops of frosting around the frosting to create flowers
- Using the green frosting and pipe leafs along the flowers
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.
1 thought on “Colorful Unicorn Cupcakes”
THESE LOOK SOOOO DELICIOUS!!!!!!