Heaven On Earth Cake is a no-bake dessert with delicious layers of cake, vanilla pudding, cherries and cool whip. It is so dang good that everyone calls it Heaven on Earth!
Heaven On Earth Cake Recipe
No-bake desserts are a favorite of mine all year round, but especially in the Summer months when the last thing I want to do heat the oven. If you are looking for more sweet treats to make for your Summer get-togethers, this one should go on your list stat!
Watch The Recipe Video!
This cherry dessert comes together really quick but you will have to be patient while it sets up in the fridge. My tip is to make your cake in the morning so you’ll have plenty of time before your party/BBQ/dinner. It really is worth the wait as the angel food cake soaks up all the flavors of the cherry pie filling and vanilla pudding. Yum!
You’ll also want to try our Strawberry Heaven on Earth Cake! Similar idea, but a bit different – both delicious!
- Angel Food Cake – chopped into cake cubes (about 1-inch cubes).
- Cherry Pie Filling – if cherries aren’t your thing you can switch to another flavor like strawberry.
- Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix – one box.
- Milk – to mix up the pudding.
- Sour Cream – this thickens up the pudding mix.
- Cool Whip – one container to top off the cake or make our easy homemade whipped cream recipe.
- Slivered Almonds – if you have a nut allergy or just don’t like almonds, you can leave these out.
How To Make Heaven On Earth Cake
- One – Place half of your cake on the bottom of a cake pan.
- Two – Layer 2/3 of the pie filling evenly over the cake.
- Three – Put the rest of the cake pieces over the pie filling.
- Four – Mix the pudding, milk and sour cream together until it is thick and smooth.
- Five – Pour the pudding mixture evenly over top of the cake.
- Six – Spread with the whipped topping over the pudding layer and then the rest of the cherry pie filling.
- Seven – Chill your cake in the fridge for 4-6 hours and garnish with almonds before serving.
Tips and Variations:
- Pan Size: The size of the baking dish you use depends on how you like the cake. Use a big, 9×13 if you like the cake to be a bit more loose and “sloppy”. If you prefer a really tightly condensed cake that will give you clean cut lines like the photos above, use a 8×8 or 9×9. Also, for that compact type of cake consistency, we recommend an additional 30 minutes in the freezer after it has set.
- Chilling: I like to make this cake the night before or at least 4 to 5 hours so the flavors can combine. This also gives the pudding time to set and chill.
- Angel Food Cake: Feel free to use store-bought angel food cake, a boxed angel food cake mix or make our homemade angel food cake. Just make sure the cake is completely cool before making the layers if baking. Pound cake, chocolate cake, vanilla sponge cake or even brownies are another option in place of angel food cake.
- Pie Filling: Any flavor pie filling would be delicious in this recipe. Blueberry, strawberry, raspberry or even apple pie filling would be amazing!
- Trifle. You can also use a trifle dish featuring the pretty layers. This is nice for special occasions or holidays.
- Individual desserts. Instead of a large baking dish, use mason jars or small dessert bowls for individual servings.
Storing Heaven On Earth Cake
Fridge: Store the leftovers in the refrigerator in a sealed food storage container for up to 2 days. Serving fresh is best.
Freeze: We don’t recommend freezing this recipe because it will change the consistency.
More No-Bake Desserts To Try Next
Heaven on Earth Cake
- 1 angel food cake cut into one inch squares
- 1 18 ounces can cherry pie filling
- 1 3.6 ounces box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 8 ounce tub cool whip
- ¼ cup slivered or sliced almonds optional
- Place half of the bites of angel food cake in the bottom of an 8×8, 9×9, or 9×13 cake pan or pyrex dish.
- Pour ⅔ of the pie filling over the angel food cake, and spread evenly.
- Cover the pie filling with the other half of the cubed angel food cake.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the pudding mix, milk, and sour cream. It will slowly begin to thicken, and should be smooth.
- Pour the pudding over the cake and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Top the cake with cool whip, and then add the remaining cherry pie filling. You can put it all in the center of the cake, or drop it in spoonfuls and swirl together.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours.
- Top with almonds before serving if desired.