If you have a craving for key lime, skip the pie and make this Homemade Key Lime Cake. This moist cake is buttery and flavorful with a bright green cake and a delicious citrus cream cheese frosting. This is the perfect cake for a summer time get together.
Key Lime Cake
When it comes to a special cake recipe, you want to make this Key Lime Cake. From the lime flavored cake to the citrus frosting, this cake is a treat. This from scratch cake is so easy to make and everyone will think it was a complicated dessert. Make it for a summer evening or for a special occasion.
- Flour- It is best to use all purpose flour, but you can use self rising if that is what you have.
- Lime Jello- This is going to give a fantastic lime taste and keep the cake moist.
- Salt- Salt in baked goods helps to bring out the flavor.
- Baking powder- If you are using self rising flour, you do not need baking powder
- Baking soda- Baking soda helps the cake to rise
- Sugar- Cakes always need sugar.
- Vegetable oil- Canola oil will work too
- Key Lime Juice – While you can use whatever type of Keylime juice you like, I like to use Nellie and Joe’s brand.
- Lemon juice-Lemon juice works with the lime for the flavor.
- Vanilla- Always use pure vanilla for the best taste.
- Eggs- Room temperature eggs are best
- Lime green food coloring gel- This will give a bright green color. Gel food coloring is best.
- Butter- Always use unsalted butter so that you can control the butter.
- Cream cheese- Be sure to let the cream cheese soften to avoid lumps.
- Powdered sugar- Powdered sugar is the best sugar for the frosting.
How to Make a Homemade Key Lime Cake
Mix together the dry cake ingredients until it is well combined.
Add the oil, lime juice, vanilla, eggs, and food coloring. Combine well.
Scrape the sides of the bowl and then mix again.
Pour the batter into a prepared pan and make for 25-30 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.
While the cake is cooling, make the icing.
Cream together the butter and cream cheese, until it is creamy and smooth.
Slowly add the powdered sugar until it is completely incorporated.
Add a few drops of lemon juice at the end of the mixing.
Frost the cake and add a garnish it with crushed graham crackers or green sugars.
What is the Difference Between Regular Limes and Key Limes?
Regular limes and key limes are very similar but there are some differences. Key Limes are more aromatic, are tarter and the juice is more floral. They are more yellow and they also have more seeds. It takes more work to get to the key lime juice but it is so worth it.
Does Butter Cake Have to be Refrigerated?
While butter cake itself can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days, this key lime butter cake needs to be refrigerated because of the cream cheese frosting.
More Cake Recipes
- Copycat Ding Dong Cake Recipe
- Banana Crunch Cake
- Instant Pot Pound Cake
- Old Fashioned Buttermilk Cake
- Caramel Tres Leches Three Milk Cake
Buttery Key Lime Cake Recipe
For the Cake
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 - 3 ounce package of Lime Jello
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup of Nellie and Joe's Key Lime Juice
- 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of Vanilla
- 5 large eggs - beaten
- Lime green food coloring gel - 1 teaspoon
For the Frosting
- 1 stick of butter - softened
- 1 package of cream cheese - 8 ounces
- 1 pound of powdered sugar
- 3 - 4 drops of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9 X 13 inch dish, and set aside. In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, mix the Lime Jello, sugar, flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda, until completely blended.
- Add the oil, Key Lime Juice, vanilla, eggs, and lime green food coloring.
- Mix until well blended.
- Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl, and blend one more time.
- Pour the batter into the greased and floured 9 X 13 dish.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake to a wire rack to completely cool.
- When the cake is cooled, make the icing.
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese, until smooth and creamy.
- Add the powdered sugar, a little at a time, until all the powdered sugar is added, and mixing between additions.
- Mix until the icing is smooth and creamy.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice at the very end of mixing, just to give the icing a fresh flavor.
- Ice the cake with the icing, and sprinkle a few crushed graham cracker crumbs on top - or you can top with green sugars.
- Add a slice of lime, serve, and Enjoy!
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.