This TikTok viral recipe, Honeycomb Pasta is a fun and delicious twist on what’s commonly known as rigatoni pie. Arrange your rigatoni noodles in a honeycomb pattern, and then bake with marinara sauce and cheese for a truly enjoyable Italian dinner.
Honeycomb Pasta (aka Rigatoni Pie)
Honeycomb pasta, also known as rigatoni pie, is a stunning dish that showcases rigatoni noodles arranged in a honeycomb-like pattern. The centers of the rigatoni noodles form pockets for filling with marinara sauce and cheese. Then you bake the dish in the oven until the cheese melts and turns golden brown, allowing the flavors to meld together. The end result is a delicious pasta dish.
Slicing into the rigatoni pie reveals the honeycomb pattern, which adds an extra element of excitement. Honeycomb pasta, or rigatoni pie, is a delightful twist on traditional pasta dishes, offering a unique and enjoyable way to savor the flavors of Manicotti, sauce, and cheese.
What You Need
- Manicotti pasta – When the pasta is placed on its end, it resembles a large rigatoni noodle.
- Cheese: Like any good Italian dish, combine mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese and parmesan cheese. Egg is added to the cheese to bind it together.
- Seasoning: In classic Italian flavor, garlic cloves and garlic powder, shallot, oregano , salt, and red pepper flakes are combined to season the marinara sauce.
How to Make Honeycomb Pasta
Cook the noodles: In a large pot, boil salted water for the pasta and cook the pasta for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Slice each noodle in half lengthwise, making sure the all the noodles are even. Stack in the springform pan.
Make the filling: Combine the cheese, egg, and seasoning. Add the filling to a piping bag or a ziplock bag with the corner cut off. This is the easiest way to fill the noodles. Fill the pasta. Pour the tomato sauce over the top of the pan and top with more cheese. Bake.
Garnish with fresh basil and serve.
Tips and Tricks
- Cook the rigatoni noodles al dente: It’s important to slightly undercook the rigatoni noodles before assembling the dish. This will prevent them from becoming too soft or mushy during baking.
- Use a sturdy sauce: Opt for a thick and flavorful sauce, such as marinara or bolognese, that will cling to the noodles and infuse them with delicious flavors. Thin or watery sauces may not adhere well to the noodles.
- Coat the noodles evenly: Ensure that each rigatoni noodle is coated with the sauce by spooning it over or gently tossing them together. This will help distribute the flavors more evenly throughout the dish.
- Fill the rigatoni pasta tubes: If desired, you can stuff the rigatoni noodles with additional ingredients before arranging them in the dish. Consider adding a mixture of cheese, spinach, or ground beef or other meats to enhance the flavor and texture.
- Choose the right cheese: Mozzarella is a popular choice for rigatoni pie, as it melts beautifully and creates that classic cheesy stretch. You can also experiment with other cheeses like Parmesan, cheddar, or a blend of cheeses for added flavor complexity.
- Create a crispy topping: For an extra crunch and flavor, sprinkle some breadcrumbs or grated cheese on top of the rigatoni pie before baking. This will give the dish a delightful texture contrast.
More Pasta Recipes
Honeycomb Pasta (TikTok Viral)
- Preheat the oven to 375•
- Shred the mozzarella cheese and set aside ½ cup.
- Bring 4 cups of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and boil for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Slice each noodle in half. Be sure to cut even lengths of noodles, trim if necessary. This assures the pasta “pie” is level.
- Next, in a medium mixing bowl combine the ricotta, parmesan, ½ cup mozzarella, minced garlic, minced shallot, egg, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and red pepper flakes. Mix thoroughly.
- Add filling to a piping bag or a ziplock with the corner cut off.
- Lightly spray a 9” springform pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Coat the bottom of the pan with a little bit of the pasta sauce.
- Stack the cooked pasta vertically to fill the entire pan.
- Pipe cheese filling into each pasta until it is filled to the top.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and top with remaining mozzarella.
- Place into the oven on the center rack. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the side of the springform pan.
- Garnish with fresh basil and enjoy!