When it comes to chocolate cake, this might be the best one ever. If you love hot chocolate then this Easy Layered Hot Chocolate Cake Recipe is exactly the recipe you need. Rich chocolate cake topped with toasted marshmallow, this cake is perfect for a get together or party.
If you love hot chocolate desserts, you have to try Hot Chocolate Cookies.
Easy Layered Hot Chocolate Cake Recipe
Anyone who loves chocolate cake and loves hot chocolate is going to love this cake. Topped with marshmallow creme this cake brings in all the flavors of hot chocolate in a moist, delicious cake.
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Kosher salt
- Dark chocolate
- Unsalted butter
- Canola oil
- Pure vanilla extract
- Cream cheese
- Powder sugar
- Heavy whipping cream
- Marshmallow creme
How to Make Hot Chocolate Cake
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray 3 9 inch baking pans.
In a bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In a saucepan, heat together the water and sugar. Bring it to a boil.
After about a minute, remove from the heat and whisk in the chocolate and butter until melted.
Mix in the canola oil and vanilla.
Quickly whisk the eggs into the mixture, stirring continuously in order to not cook the eggs.
Gradually whisk in the dry ingredients until combined.
Divide the cake batter between the 3 pans and bake for 30 -35 minutes.
How to Make the Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
Using a mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter together until it is smooth.
Mix in the cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt.
Slowly, beat in the powdered sugar until it is combined.
Whisk in the heavy whipping cream until the frosting is smooth and fluffy
Assemble the Cake
After the cakes have cooled, remove the cakes from the pans.
Cut the domes off the tops of each cake.
Scoop one cup of frosting into a piping bag.
Place the first cake layer onto a cake board.
Pipe a ring of frosting around the edge of the cake layer
Scoop about ½ Cup of the Marshmallow creme into the middle and spread evenly.
Place the second layer of cake on top and repeat.
Place the last cake on top and frost the entire cake in the frosting.
Scoop remaining marshmallow creme into a microwave safe bowl and heat it for 15 seconds
Mix until it is smooth and then pour over the top of the cake.
Use a blowtorch and toast parts of the marshmallow topping.
Cut and enjoy!
Can I Make Chocolate Cake Without Cocoa Powder?
If you find that you want to make this hot chocolate cake and do not have cocoa powder, it’s ok. You can substitute hot chocolate mix for the cocoa in this recipe. You will want to double the amount of hot chocolate to reach the same level of cocoa taste.
Can I Use Store Bought Icing For This Hot Chocolate Layer Cake?
When you are making this chocolate layer cake, you might decide that you want to skip making homemade icing. That is totally fine and you can use a store bought frosting. While this is a special frosting, you can use a traditional buttercream frosting from the store. If you want to get the frosting and then add the additional ingredients to make the frosting just like the one in the recipe. Using a cream cheese frosting, you will want to add cocoa powder to the cream cheese frosting.
You Will Also Love These Delicious Chocolate Cake Recipes:
Hot Chocolate Cake Recipe
Chocolate Cake Ingredients:
- 4 C flour
- 1/2 C cocoa
- 4 TSP baking powder
- 4 TSP baking soda
- 2 TSP kosher salt
- 4 C water
- 4 C sugar
- 10 oz dark chocolate chopped
- 12 TBSP unsalted butter
- 4 TBSP canola oil
- 2 TSP pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
Chocolate Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 C unsalted butter softened
- 1 - 8 oz cream cheese soften
- 1 1/2 C Hershey's special cocoa powder
- 1/4 TSP kosher salt
- 7 C powder sugar
- 1/4 C heavy whipping cream
- 2 containers of marshmallow creme
How to Make Hot Chocolate Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 and using pam baking spray, spray 3 each of 9 inch round cake pans
- Using a medium whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- Using a medium saucepan over medium to high heat, combine the water and sugar.
- Bring to a boil and stir until the sugar is dissolved. About 1 minute
- Remove from heat and whisk in the chocolate and butter until melted
- Whisk in the canola oil and vanilla extract
- Quickly whisk in the eggs to avoid them cooking into the chocolate mixture.
- Gradually whisk in the dry ingredients until combined
- Divide the batter between the three round cake pans
- Bake cakes for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
Chocolate Frosting Instructions:
- Using the standing mixer again, beat the cream cheese and butter until combined and smooth
- Gradually mix in the cocoa powder, vanilla and salt
- Very slowly, beat in the powdered sugar until combined
- Whisk in the heavy whipping cream until the ice cream is smooth and fluffy
Building The Cake Directions:
- Remove the cakes from the pans
- Cut the domes off the tops of the cakes
- Place the first cake layer down onto a cake board
- Scoop 1 C of frosting into the piping bag
- Pipe a ring of frosting around the edge of the cake layer
- Scoop ½ C of the Marshmallow creme into the middle and spread evenly
- Place the second layer of cake on top
- Pipe another ring of frosting on top and scoop another scoop of marshmallow creme in the middle
- Place the last cake on top
- Frost entire cake in the frosting
- Scoop remaining marshmallow creme into a microwave safe bowl and heat up for 15 seconds
- Mix until smooth
- Pour over the top of the cake
- Use a blowtorch and toast parts of the marshmallow
- Cut and enjoy!