Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
You can forget Chinese take out! This savory Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli recipe is tender beef mixed with broccoli in a flavorful dish. This recipe is smokey with a little bit of spice that ties the whole recipe together.
Beef And Broccoli made in the Instant Pot
Beef and Broccoli is a common take-out dish, but you won’t want to order out anymore! This simple and tasty beef and broccoli recipe will have you making this dish every night for dinner. You will want to share this easy instant pot recipe with all your friends. It’s that good! Check out our other delicious Instant Pot Recipes here.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Beef: You will be needing a beef chuck roast. It is one of the better cuts of meat because it is very tender and falls apart like butter.
Seasonings: All the seasonings you will need are the following: Pepper, Ginger, and Red Pepper Flakes.
Soy Sauce: Soy sauce contains salt which will do a great job of bringing out the flavors. And, with all these ingredients, the flavor is the best!
Oyster Sauce: This will add an almost smokey flavor to the recipe.
Brown Sugar: Brown sugar in cooking may seem strange. However, it does a great job of adding sweetness and richness to the recipe.
Sesame Oil: This is an additional ingredient added into the sauce and blends so well with the other ingredients. You get a smokey and savory recipe!
Garlic: Garlic does an excellent job for the taste and aroma of the recipe. I could eat garlic with everything!
Beef Broth: Use this for the flavor and consistency of the sauce.
Cornstarch: You can use this to thicken up the sauce a bit. You can add more beef broth if it becomes too thick.
Broccoli Florets: You can’t have beef and broccoli without broccoli florets.
How To Make Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
Step 1. Add pepper to season the beef and begin cutting the beef into strips against the grain of the meat.
In an instant pot, add the olive oil and set it to ‘SAUTE’. Add in the beef when the oil is hot and begin browning the meat in batches. This will take 5-10 minutes for each batch. Make sure not to overcrowd!
Step 2. Begin making the sauce while the beef cooks. Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, ginger, red pepper flakes, and garlic into a medium-sized bowl and combine.
Once the meat is cooked, place it into the pot making sure to get every bit of it. Pour in the sauce and combine.
Step 3. Turn off the ‘SAUTE’ and cover with the lid and set it to ‘HIGH’ for 10 minutes. Make sure to use the quick release. Add the cornstarch and water into a small bowl and combine, then add into the IP before switching to ‘SAUTE’ again and bringing to a boil.
Step 4. Prepare the broccoli into small pieces and put it into the pot, sealing the lid, and boiling for another 3 minutes. Switch off the ‘SAUTE’ and let the mixture rest for 5 additional minutes or until the broccoli is crispy.
Step 5. Top with chopped green onions and toasted sesame seeds and serve. Enjoy!
What Can I Serve With Beef and Broccoli?
I love serving this beef and broccoli recipe over a bed of rice. The warm rice becomes coated in the sauce and tastes so good! You can also have this with bread, salads, and more!
Can I Use Frozen Broccoli For Beef and Broccoli?
Using fresh ingredients in a recipe like this isn’t required, but it does help! However, you can use frozen broccoli if you need to, it will work just as well.
More Beef Recipes:
Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
- 1 ½ pound beef chuck roast
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Pepper for seasoning
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup beef broth low sodium if possible
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 lb. broccoli florets
- Optional garnish: chopped green onions toasted sesame seeds
- Season the beef with pepper. Cut it against the grain, into thin strips.
- Put the olive oil into the instant pot and turn on the saute function. When the oil is hot, add the beef (in batches if necessary, we don’t want to crowd it). Allow the beef to brown on all sides. This will take 5-10 minutes.
- While the beef is browning, we will prepare the sauce. In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the soy sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, ginger, red pepper flakes, and garlic.
- When the beef is browned, add the beef broth to the pot. Make sure to scrape up any bits of beef that are stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the sauce and stir well. Switch off the saute function.
- Seal the pot and set to cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Use the quick pressure release.
- In a small bowl, create a slurry by mixing the cornstarch and water. Stir this into the mixture in the instant pot.
- Turn on the saute function and bring this mixture to a boil.
- Make sure the broccoli is cut into bite-size pieces. Add the broccoli to the pot and stir in, put on the lid and allow it to boil for 3 minutes, then turn off the saute function. With the pot turned off, allow the mixture to it for 5 more minutes, or until the broccoli reaches the desired crispness.
- Serve with chopped green onions and toasted sesame seeds.
use low-sodium broth instead since soy sauce and oyster sauce are already pretty high in salt. We tried it both
ways and each recipe was still great.
Also, if readers prefer a lot of sauce, they can double the sauce ingredients to make extra.
You can also double the entire recipe and it will easily fit into the pot.
Believe me when I say that this is SUPER easy to make and just as good, if not better than, take-out!