Taco Lasagna is a delicious weeknight dinner for the family. It’s an easy meal with layers of traditional taco ingredients like beef, tortillas and seasoning, all topped with a homemade cheese sauce that makes the whole thing come together.
This easy dinner recipe is basically soft beef tacos in the form of a casserole. We call it “lasagna” because it is layered like lasagna with the tortillas in place of the noodles.
Ingredients You Need
- Tortillas – any size will do, you can tear them to fit your pan
- Ground Beef – you can substitute for ground turkey if you prefer
- Onion – diced
- Garlic Clove – minced
- Taco Seasoning
- Milk – 1%
- Flour – to thicken the cheese sauce
- Salsa – pick mild or hot based on your preferences
- Paprika – for flavor and a bit of tartness
- Salt – for flavor
- Shredded Cheese – for the cheese sauce and also for topping
- Shredded Lettuce – for garnish
- Cilantro – for garnish
- Sour Cream – for garnish
How To Make Taco Lasagna
- Cook the beef. Brown the ground beef with onion and seasonings; drain and set aside.
- Make cheese sauce. Start with a rue of flour and milk, then add in salt and paprika until it is dough like. Add in more milk until it thickens, then add shredded cheddar cheese and stir until it’s melted.
- Layer the lasagna. Start with a tortilla, then beef, cheese sauce and salsa. Repeat until you are out of ingredients and end with tortillas. Top with cheese.
- Bake. Cover and bake for 20 minutes, then uncovered for an additional ten.
- Garnish. You can top this with shredded lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream, or set it out for everyone to garnish theirs the way they like it.
Homemade Cheese Sauce
If you want easy Mexican recipes for Taco Tuesday, this is for sure a great one to keep around. I have found everyone loves this recipe and I almost never have leftovers!
More Great Recipes To Try Next
Cheese Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 ¼ cup 1% Milk
- 5 teaspoons Flour
- 7 ounces Mexican Cheddar cheese use a 12 ounce pkg of cheese and save the rest for the top
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Meat Layer Ingredients:
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1.3 ounce pkg Taco seasoning
- 1 Onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 12-13 Large flour tortillas
- 12 ounce jar Fresh salsa
- 5 ounces Mexican cheese blend for top
- 8 ounce bag Shredded lettuce
- 1 Tomato finely diced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped Cilantro optional
- Sour cream optional
- In a medium skillet cook ground beef on medium high heat until no longer pink.
- Drain and add in taco seasoning packet, diced onion, and garlic. Cook for another 3-4 minutes to allow spices to toast and onion soften. Set aside.
- In a separate saucepan make cheese sauce. On medium heat whisk flour and ¼ cup of milk to make a rue.
- Add in salt and paprika. Mix until a dough-like consistency forms.
- Add in the remaining 1 cup of milk and stir until thickened.
- Add in shredded Mexican cheese and stir until the cheese has completely melted. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In an 9X13 aluminum pan begin assembling the lasagna.
- First lay down four tortillas. You can tear them to fit the pan.
- Next layer is the beef and onion mixture, layer 1 cup of mixture on tortillas.
- Next add ½ cheese sauce and ½ cup of fresh salsa. Top with more tortillas.
- Repeat these layers until the ingredients are gone and end with tortillas.
- Top with shredded cheese and cover with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Once done remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Top with shredded lettuce, diced tomato, cilantro, and sour cream.