Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken is one of the best known Chinese food take out. It is loved by just about everyone. With this Sweet and Sour Chicken Instant Pot Recipe, you can have it whenever and it’s even better than take-out!
Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken
When it comes to Chinese take out, this Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken is absolutely perfect. You can have all the best flavors of this chicken and know exactly what goes inside of it. Made in the Instant Pot, this chicken is tender and delicious.
- Chicken– You can use chicken breast or thighs for this recipe.
- Corn starch- The cornstarch is used as part of the coating for the chicken.
- Eggs- You want to use room temperature eggs.
- Flour- The flour is used as part of the coating for the chicken
- Sunflower oil- You can use another type of oil if you prefer.
- Red and green pepper- While I like using red and green peppers you can use whatever color peppers you like.
- Sweet and sour sauce- I normally use a store bought sweet and sour sauce but you can make it from scratch as well.
- Basmati rice- I love basmati rice in this recipe but any type of rice can be used.
- Water- You will need water for the rice and for the Instant Pot.
- Green onions – These are for topping the dish at the end.
How to Make Sweet and Sour Chicken Instant Pot Recipe
Turn the Instant Pot on Saute and let it get hot.
Place the cornstarch, flour, and eggs into bowls.
Dip the chicken into the cornstarch, the eggs, and then the flour.
Add oil to the Instant Pot and then add the dredged chicken to the pot and brown it for 5 minutes.
Add the peppers and sweet and sour sauce. Mix it together.
Put the lid on the pot and set it to 3 minutes.
Remove the food, and then clean the pot and dry it.
Add the rice and 2 cups of water.
Set it for 3 minutes and then allow a natural release for 15 minutes.
Can Instant Pot Sweet & Sour Chicken Be Frozen?
If you make a large batch of sweet and sour chicken, you can freeze some of it for later. When I freeze sweet and sour chicken, I like to place the chicken and sauce in one baggie and the rice in another. Then I take both bags and store them in a freezer bag. This way, the rice and chicken are ready to go but can be served separately. These are a great replacement for frozen meals from the grocery store.
What Vegetables Should I Serve with Sweet and Sour Chicken?
Typically sweet and sour chicken is served with peppers in the sauce and a side of broccoli. The great thing about sweet and sour chicken is that any type of vegetables can be served.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Cajun Instant Pot Crawfish Boil
- Instant Pot Coconut Chicken Curry Soup
- Beef Stir Fry Recipe
- Instant Pot General Tso’s Chicken Recipe
- Instant Pot Cauliflower Fried Rice
Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Turn instant pot on to saute- let it come to full heat before adding any food.
- Add cornstarch, flour, and eggs into 3 small bowls.
- Whisk eggs thoroughly.
- Dip the chicken in cornstarch, then into the eggs, and then into the flour.
- Set to the side.
- Add your oil to instant pot once it is hot.
- Add dredged chicken, in a single layer in the Instant pot.
- Brown the chicken on each side about 5 minutes.
- It should be a golden brown color.
- Add the peppers, and sweet and sour sauce and toss to combine.
- Close and seal the instant pot.
- Set on high for 3 minutes.
- Release the valve once the timer goes off.
- Remove the chicken and set to the side.
- Clean the insert and dry.
- Place the insert back in the Instant Pot.
- Add rice and 2 cups of water to the Instant pot.
- Add the lid on top of rice.
- Close and seal instant pot.
- Set on high for 3 minutes, let naturally release for 15 minutes.
- Garnish green onions
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.