Jakks Pacific Rim Chicken is a savory dish that magically turns boring old chicken thighs into a sweet heat explosion of island flavor!
There is plenty of sweet pineapple in this main dish, so all pineapple lovers should expect to fall madly in love with this recipe. For those among us who can’t get enough of this tropical fruit, let me recommend a couple of other favorites you should try. Pineapple Upside Down Monkey Bread is exactly as delicious as you think it will be. In a hurry? You’ll be glad you bookmarked this No-Bake Pineapple Dream Dessert. Easy peasy, but it looks like it took time to make.
Jakks Pacific Rim Chicken
Pacific Rim cuisine is a favorite of mine. It’s such an eclectic mix of tropical fruit, tangy sauces, and wonderful herbs and spices! It blends Asian and West Coast cuisines in a way that’s undeniably unique.
Chicken thighs aren’t given enough credit. I mean, chicken breasts get all the glory and we forget there is anything else. (At least I do.) That’s a shame because chicken thighs are actually very good – if prepared correctly.
They are also cheaper than chicken breasts so your dollar might actually go a little farther in your grocery budget.
Sure, breasts are leaner, but any cook will tell you that one wrong move and your family will be enjoying something akin to dried shoe leather. Chicken thighs are a bit moister.
There is more fat in a chicken thigh than breast, but it’s the good fat aka monounsaturated fat. Never let anyone tell you chicken thighs are unhealthier than breasts!
How to Choose a Fresh Pineapple
Pineapple isn’t like a tomato or an avocado in that it won’t get any riper once you bring it home. That’s why it’s important to get it right.
This is complicated, so get ready to take notes.
1. Pick up the most yellow pineapple in the grocery store bin.
2. Give it a little squeeze. If it’s as hard as cement, put it back. A little give is what you’re looking for. Not squishy. Just a little give.
3. Smell the bottom of it. If it smells like sweet pineapple, that’s exactly what it is.
4. Brag to your friends that you know how to choose a sweet pineapple. (This might be the most important step, so don’t forget it!)
Jakks Pacific Rim Chicken
For the Chicken:
- Combine the soy sauce, Sriracha sauce, water, brown sugar, garlic, sesame oil, and pineapple juice, stir to combine.
- Add your chicken into a container and pour your sauce all over it.
- Seal and place in your refrigerator for 6 to 24 hours to marinate.
- The longer it sits the more flavor the chicken will have.
- Heat the stovetop to a medium.
- Grill to a medium if grilling
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and cook or grill for 6-7 minutes on each side or until chicken is cooked through.
- Place the chicken in a skillet or cast iron.
For the Pineapple:
- Add the pineapple to the chicken.
- Add remaining sauce to the chicken.
- Brush it on evenly.
- Heat the oven to broil high.
- Or if grilling – place a lid on top of the skillet and place it on the gill and close the grills lid.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes if in the oven or 6-7 on the gill.
- Arrange the pineapple and chicken on a serving plate or skillet.
- Garnish with lime wedges, jalapeños, and green onions if desired.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes