When you want a cake that is a little different than the norm but still has a mild taste that everyone will love, this Layered Blue Velvet Cake is exactly what you want to make. Rich and creamy, this blue cake is a 3 layer cake that is incredibly easy to make. Inspired by Blue Suede Shoes, if you have an Elvis fan in your life, this is a fun cake to make them.
If you want to make an Elvis party, use this cake with Elvis Pancake Breakfast.
Layered Blue Velvet Cake
Perfect for a Blue Suede Shoes party, this Blue Velvet Cake is bright blue. Delicious and easy to make, this layered cake is great when you want something different but want to stay with a flavor that everyone will love. The blue in this cake gives a beautiful contrast to the white frosting to make a gorgeous presentation.
What is the Flavor of Blue Velvet Cake?
Ble Velvet Cake is made using a white cake recipe so the flavor is plain or vanilla. This gives the cake a nice base if you want to change up the flavor. You can add different flavored extracts to the cake batter in order to give the cake a different flavor if you prefer.
Can I Use Natural Dye for This Recipe?
You can absolutely use a natural dye to color the cake. There are many types of natural food dyes available to buy online or you can use red cabbage to create a blue color. I know red cabbage isn’t what first pops into mind when thinking about natural blue food colors but it is the best choice.
- Whole milk
- Vanilla extract
- Unsalted sweet cream butter
- Baking powder
- Sky Blue gel food coloring
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Heavy whipping cream
- Semi sweet chocolate chips
How to Make a Blue Velvet Cake
Prepare the cake pans with baking spray and parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together milk and vanilla and set it aside.
Using a mizer, beat together the butter and sugar.
In a seperate bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder.
Slowly add the milk and the dry ingredients into the butter mixture bowl, alternating. Mix on low until combined.
Using another large mixing bowl and mixer, beat the eggs until it forms stiff peaks. Then fold into the cake batter
Mix in the sky blue gel food coloring until it is combined
Divide the batter evenly between the three cake pans and bake for 23-26 minutes.
Allow the cakes to cool completely before removing from cake pans.
Once the cake is cooled, cut off the domes on each cake.
Place one layer on the cake board.
Using a mixer, make the frosting. Beat all of the ingredients together until stiff peaks form.
Scoop about 1 cup of frosting on the cake layer and smooth it out. Place the next cake layer on top and repeat. Add the 3rd cake layer and frost the rest of the cake using about 2 cups of frosting.
Mix in the sky blue gel food coloring into the remaining frosting and place about 1/2 cup frosting into a piping bag.
Scoop remaining frosting into a large piping bag with a star tip.
Pipe lines of the blue color onto the entire cake using the disposable piping bag and smooth evenly so that the colors blend.
Then make the ganache.
Using a small pot, heat up the heavy whipping cream over medium to high heat until it is steaming.
Pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl and allow to sit for 1 minute. Then whisk smooth.
Pour the ganache into a squeeze bottle and drizzle the chocolate ganache around the edge of the cake.
Using the large piping bag with a star tip, pipe dollops of frosting around the top of the cake.
Place into the fridge over night before cutting into slices and enjoying it with a large glass of coffee or milk.
Layered Blue Velvet Cake
White Cake Ingredients
Vanilla frosting ingredients
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients
- 1 C semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ C heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray all 3 cake pan with pam baking spray and set aside
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the milk and vanilla and set aside
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder
- Alternating between the milk and dry ingredients, gradually pour into the butter mixture.
- Mixing on low to medium speed until combined
- Using another large mixing bowl and a hand mixer, beat the eggs until stiff peaks form
- Fold into the cake batter
- Mix in the sky blue gel food coloring until combined
- Divide the batter evenly between the three cake pans
- Bake in the oven for 23-26 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean in the center
- Allow the cakes to cool completely before removing from cake pans
- Place the cakes onto a cutting board
- Using a cake slicer, remove the domes from the cakes
- Place one layer of cake onto the cake board
- Using a standing mixer, beat all ingredients together until stiff peaks form. About 5-7 minutes
- Scoop about 1 C of frosting onto the first layer and smooth out with a angled spatula
- Place the second layer of cake onto the first layer of frosting
- Scoop another cup of frosting onto the second layer of cake and smooth with evenly
- Place the remaining layer on top of the cake
- Scoop about 2 C of frosting onto the cake and frost the entire cake
- Mix in the sky blue gel food coloring into the remaining frosting
- Scoop about ½ C of the sky blue frosting into the piping bag
- Scoop remaining frosting into the large piping bag with star tip
- Pipe lines of the blue color onto the entire cake using the disposable piping bag smooth evenly so that the colors blend
- Using a small pot, heat up the heavy whipping cream over medium to high heat until slightly simmering
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl
- Allow to sit for 1 minute before whisking until smooth
- Pour into a squeeze bottle
- Drizzle the chocolate ganache around the edge of the cake
- Using the large piping bag with a star tip, pipe dollops of frosting around the top of the cake
- Place into the fridge over night before cutting into slices and enjoying with a large glass of coffee or milk.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.