Lemon Blueberry Cake is a delicious layered cake with a blueberry filling and lemon cream cheese frosting. Incredibly easy to make and turns out beautiful!
Homemade Lemon Blueberry Cake
This blueberry cake is so good! This cake is layered with almost pancake-sized lemon cakes. Between each layer is a simple blueberry filling. The lemon topping just blends so well with all the flavors, and one bite of this lemon cake will have you hooked.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Blueberries: Fresh blueberries are best to use to get a stronger and sweeter blueberry flavor.
Brown Sugar: This is great for making adding more moisture to the cake. We all love a chewy and delectable cake, and this ingredient will do just that.
Lemon Juice: Using fresh lemon juice will give you a nice tangy and slightly sour flavor to the ice cream.
Cornstarch: Cornstarch is an amazing thickening agent for cookies and makes them have a more airy texture.
All-Purpose Flour: All-purpose flour is best to use. However, if you are using self-rising flour, you would eliminate the baking powder.
Butter: It is best to use unsalted butter for this recipe. Using unsalted butter will give you control of the flavoring in the recipe. This will allow the rawest and most natural flavor to come out in the recipe.
Eggs: When making cake, you always want to use room-temperature eggs. It gives the best texture to the cake.
Almond Milk: If you don’t have almond milk, you can use whole or 2% milk to add moisture to the recipe and add additional flavor.
Vanilla Extract: Vanilla is used not only to add an aroma to the recipe but also to enhance the flavor as well for a sweeter and more delicious recipe.
Oil: Using Canola or Vegetable Oil will give the recipe a more tender and moist texture. When combined together with eggs it will add an airy and fluffy consistency overall.
Castor Sugar: This sugar is great for adding sweetness to the recipe without any graininess.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream Cheese: Use softened or room temperature cream cheese to allow ingredients to blend more easily. Using cream cheese in your filling will enhance the flavor and give it a more fluffy and delectable texture.
Powdered Sugar: This is the best sugar to use when needing a frosting with a smooth consistency.
How To Make Lemon Blueberry Cake
Step 1. Add the pints of blueberries, brown sugar, and lemon juice into a medium saucepan and combine. Heat on medium heat, simmer and mix until the blueberries are fully coated and soft. Add the water and cornstarch into a small bowl and combine into the blueberry mixture. When the mixture is soft, take it away from the heat and allow it to cool and thicken while you make the cake.
Step 1. Set the oven to 350 degrees. Add the flour, salt, and baking powder into a medium bowl and combine, then set aside. Add the butter, sugar, and oil into a standing mixer and combine for 3-4 minutes before adding the eggs and beat until smooth. Combine the milk and lemon juice into a measuring cup and alternate between the lemon mixture and dry ingredients and combine into the butter mixture. Pour in the vanilla and combine until smooth.
Step 2. Pour the batter into 2 separate and greased 8-inch pans and place into the oven for 30 minutes until a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean. Take the cake out and let it cool on a wire rack.
Step 1. Add the cream cheese and butter into a large bowl and combine until smooth and creamy. One cup at a time, add in the powdered sugar and combine until smooth. Pout in the lemon juice and combine once more.
Assembling The Cake
Step 1. Slice both of the cakes horizontally down the middle so that you have four thin pancake-like layers. Place one cake layer on a stand and spread frosting on top and smooth evenly using an offset spatula making sure to cover up high on the edges too. Doing this will create a barrier for the blueberry filling.
Step 2. Put a big scoop of the filling in the middle of the frosting layer and spread until it reaches the barrier. Continue with the next two layers. When you are at your last layer, add the rest of the frosting on top and smooth out evenly.
Step 3. Top with some lemon slices and fresh flowers or blueberries. Serve and Enjoy!
Can I Use Frozen Blueberries For This Lemon Blueberry Cake?
I love using fresh blueberries for this blueberry cake. You can use frozen berries if that’s what you have access to. However, fresh ingredients always taste the best in my opinion.
Can I Use Lemon Extract For This Lemon Blueberry Cake?
Using fresh ingredients is one of the only ways I like baking. Fresh lemon juice is not only tangier but sweet too. However, you can use lemon extract if you need to.
More Lemon Blueberry Recipes:
- Lemon Blueberry Ice Cream Bread
- Beautiful Lemon Blueberry Meringue Pie
- Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Lemon Blueberry Swirl Bread
Lemon Blueberry Cake
- In a medium saucepan, combine the pints of blueberries, packed brown sugar,and lemon juice. Mix until berries are evenly coated and simmer on medium heatuntil blueberries are soft.
- In a small bowl, mix together the water and cornstarch. Add into your blueberry mixture.
- Once blueberries are soft, remove them from heat. The filling will thicken as it cools. Set aside while you make your cake.Lemon Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking powder and mix untilincorporated. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat butter, sugar, and oil together until creamy and smooth.(about 3-4 minutes) Add in the eggs and beat until smooth and incorporated.
- In a measuring cup, mix together your milk and your lemon juice. Alternate between adding mix/lemon mixture and dry ingredients into your butter mixture.Add vanilla and beat cake batter until smooth.
- Separate the batter into two 8-inch greased cake tins and bake for 30 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean. Allow cake to cool on a wire rack.
- Using a stand mixer, beat cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Add in powdered sugar, one cup at a time, and mix until smooth.
- Add in lemon juice and mix until smooth. Assembling the Cake
- First, cut each layer of cake horizontally, so you will end up with four thin layers.
- Place your first layer on a cake stand, then scoop frosting onto the layer. Using an offset spatula, smooth the frosting over the layer, making sure to bring thefrosting up high around the edges. This will act as a barrier to your blueberryfilling.
- Scoop a healthy portion of blueberry filling onto the center of your frosted layer,and spread until it reaches the frosting barrier.
- Repeat for the next two layers.
- For your last layer, spread the remainder of your frosting smoothly across thetime. Garnish with lemon slices and fresh flowers.
- Serve and enjoy!
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Cake can be stored in a freezer (in an airtight container) for up to two months
Make sure you are using full-fat cream cheese. Low fat cream cheese will affect thetexture and taste of your frosting.