Having delicious bread to enjoy with your morning breakfast or for lunch is a great option to fill up your tummy. This Lemon Blueberry Swirl Bread is so tasty and full of flavor that it will feel like your biting into fresh-baked bread from a bakery.
Lemon Blueberry Swirl Bread
This Lemon Blueberry Swirl Bread is so good and easy to make and follow along with. It has a wonderful sweet blueberry flavor with a hint of tangy from the lemon zest and lemon juice in the recipe. This bread recipe only takes a little over 30 minutes to make and it will be ready to enjoy in no time.
This is one of my favorite breakfast recipes as a special treat. Pair it with Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole Recipe with Sausage and Breakfast Pigs in a Blanket to make it amazing.
- Milk- You can use whole or 2%.
- Sugar- Every great recipe uses sugar as an ingredient.
- Dry Yeast- This will help the bread rise in the oven.
- Flour- You will need All-Purpose flour for this recipe.
- Butter- Best to use unsalted to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Eggs- Be sure to use eggs that are at room temperature.
- Salt- This will bring out the flavors in your bread.
- Blueberry Jam- Be sure to get jam for this recipe and not jelly.
- Blueberries- You will be using fresh blueberries for this recipe.
- Lemon Zest- Be sure to zest your lemons before juicing them.
- Powdered Sugar- This sugar is best for homemade icing.
- Lemon Juice- Use fresh lemon juice for the best-enhanced flavor.
How do I Make Lemon Blueberry Bread
In a bowl, pour in the warm milk, then add in your sugar and yeast. Dissolve the sugar and yeast and mix to combine. Let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes until it begins to foam and bubble.
Add a paddle attachment to your standing mixer and add in a cup of flour and combine. Put in the butter and another cup of flour and combine again.
Combine the eggs, salt, and remaining flour into the mixture until fully incorporated. Once the dough starts to form, shape the dough into a ball and put it into a greased bowl, flipping it over to grease the other side as well. Use plastic wrap to cover the dough and allow it to double in size for 1 hour.
Set your oven to 350 degrees.
Once the dough is ready, place it on a lightly floured countertop and use a rolling pin to roll the dough into an 18×15 inch rectangle. Start to add your jam, topped with blueberries, and a bit of lemon zest.
Begin to roll the dough starting at the long end, be sure to not roll it too tightly. Seal the seam and flip the seam down onto the floured surface.
With a knife, slice your log of dough longways into two pieces. Take each and gently twist each keeping the cut side up.
Use a non-stick cooking spray to grease a 10-inch skillet or a pan close in size. Wrap the dough into a circle in the prepared pan making sure to tuck the loose ends.
Place the pan into the preheated oven for 35 minutes or until golden brown in color.
Take the pan out and allow the bread to cool before taking it out.
In a small bowl, add the lemon juice and powdered sugar to combine and make a smooth glaze. If need be, you can add more lemon juice.
Add over top of the finished bread.
Serve and enjoy!
Can I Use Frozen Blueberries?
For this lemon blueberry bread, you will be using fresh blueberries according to the recipe. Using fresh anything enhances flavor and makes it taste even better with better results. However, if you need to use frozen berries, those will work well too.
How Long is Sweet Breakfast Bread Good?
So, the date that your lemon blueberry bread is good for all depends on when you make it and how it is stored. Keeping your bread stored in the right place will determine if it will be only a few days to a few weeks. You can leave it at room temp to last a few days in a sealed container or place it in the fridge or freezer for the best chance of longer shelf life.
More Breakfast Recipes
- Breakfast Pigs in a Blanket
- Sausage Breakfast Muffins
- Easy Italian Breakfast Casserole
- Overnight Croissant Breakfast Casserole
- Breakfast Potatoes
Lemon Blueberry Swirl Bread
- Dissolve sugar and yeast in the warm milk and stir to blend. Allow sitting for about 10 minutes, until the yeast starts to foam and bubble.
- Using the paddle attachment on your mixer, mix in one cup of flour until combined. Add in the butter along with one more cup of flour, mixing well. Add in eggs, salt, and remaining flour and mix thoroughly. The dough should come together. Form into a ball and place into a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for about 1-hour until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- After the dough has risen, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to about an 18×15 inch rectangle. Spread dough with the blueberry jam, top with blueberries, and sprinkle with the lemon zest.
- Starting at a long end, roll up jellyroll style, not making it too tight. Pinch seam to seal and turn seam side down on your surface.
- Slice roll lengthwise to form two pieces. Carefully twist each piece around the other, keeping the cut side up. Spray a 10-inch iron skillet (or similar size pan) with a non-stick cooking spray. Place dough into the pan in a circular fashion, tucking ends under. Bake in a 350-degree preheated oven for about 35 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove bread and cool in pan.
- Combine lemon juice and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth, adding more lemon juice if necessary. Drizzle icing across the surface of the bread.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.