Lemon Crazy Cake is the wacky recipe that tastes great but has absolutely no eggs, no milk and no butter! This recipe adds the fun flavor of lemon, too.
Lemon Crazy Cake
You may have also heard of this called Depression Cake, and that’s because during The Great Depression when things like eggs, butter and milk where hard to come by, this recipe was born. Pretty smart, right?
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Flour. Use All-Purpose flour for this recipe because we are adding in the salt and baking powder ourselves. (Self-Rising flour already has that included.)
- Baking Soda. If all you have in the kitchen is self-rising flour, leave this out.
- Salt. Same for this ingredient: if you have to use self-rising flour, leave this out.
- Canola Oil.
- Distilled White Vinegar.
- Lemons. We are using REAL lemons for this; the juice and the zest.
- Food coloring. This is just for cosmetics so if you’d like to leave it out you can, but it does look pretty!
HOW TO MAKE A LEMON CRAZY CAKE
- Prep. Preheat your oven and coat your pan with spray.
- Mix. Whisk all the dry ingredients together.
- Make wells. Use a spoon to create three little “holes” in mixture that you can pour your wet ingredients into.
- Add the wet ingredients. Each little hole or “well” will one of the wet ingredients. Then add lemon zest and pour water over all of it.
- Mix. Stir it all up and add in yellow food coloring so you have that bright, fun lemon color.
- Bake. For about half an hour, then let it cool before you add the frosting.
How To Zest A Lemon
First, zest the lemon before getting the juice from it. Using a zester or grater, drag the lemon in a downward motion against the blades of the grater. Keep going until you’ve got most the yellow off the lemon.
MAKE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
This is really easy and it’s a frosting you can use for so many recipes.
Just beat the cream cheese until it’s creamy and then add in vanilla and powdered sugar. Frost the lemon cake and enjoy!
Lemon Crazy Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×9 square glass baking dish.
- Using a large bowl, mix until combined the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt until combined.
- Make 3 impressions into the dry ingredients.
- Pour the lemon juice, oil, and vinegar into one each of the holes.
- Add lemon zest the the dry ingredients.
- Pour the water over all ingredients and mix until combined.
- Mix in the yellow food coloring.
- Pour batter into the baking dish and bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Once done, allow to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting directions
- Using a mixing bowl, combine the softened cream cheese and mix until smooth.
- Add in the vanilla and powdered sugar and mix until combined.
- Spread onto the cooled cake.