Cinnamon Crazy Cake – or some call it Wacky Cake – is a delicious dessert with zero eggs, milk or butter. Making a cake without those kitchen staples sounds, well, crazy!
We made a chocolate version of this Depression Cake that you might want to check out as well!
Cinnamon Cazy Cake
For those wondering, the reason this dessert carries the name it does, is because the recipe originated during The Great Depression.
Back then, eggs, milk and butter were items that were hard to come by. So, the brilliant minds created a way to have cake without it. (They sound like my kind of people.)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Flour. We’re using All-Purpose flour for this recipe since we are adding in salt and baking powder. (Self-Rising flour already has those things included.)
- Sugar. Every good recipe has sugar.
- Baking Soda. If all you have in the kitchen is self-rising flour, leave this out.
- Salt. Same for this ingredient: if using self-rising, leave this out.
- Nutmeg. You don’t need much of this spice because it has a very intense flavor.
- Ginger. You’ll need even less of this spice! Ginger is super strong and even a little spicy.
- Ground Cloves. This spice is really warm and pretty similar to nutmeg.
- Cinnamon. This is what adds the most flavor to your cake.
- Canola Oil.
- Distilled White Vinegar.
- Vanilla Extract. Any vanilla is fine to use, but when it has the word “imitation” on it, it isn’t quite as tasty as the real stuff.
How To Make Crazy Cake
- Whisk the dry ingredients. Combine all of your spices with the rest of the dry ingredients in a big bowl.
- Make wells. Use a spoon to create three little wells in mixture that you can pour the wet ingredients into.
- Add wet ingredients. Each well gets one of the wet ingredients and the water covers all of it.
- Mix. Stir everything up.
- Bake. Cook this cake in a glass pan for a little under half an hour.
Make The Cream Cheese Frosting
This part is super easy. Just use a mixer to beat the cream cheese and then add in vanilla and powdered sugar. You can sprinkle a little more cinnamon on top if you want.
Frost the cake and you’re all done!
More Easy Cake Recipes To Try
Cinnamon Depression Cake
- 2 1/2 C flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/2 C Canola oil
- 1/2 tbsp distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- 1 - 8 oz pkg cream cheese softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 C Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350
- Using a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves and ginger
- Make 3 wells in the dry ingredients
- Pour the vanilla into one well
- Vinegar into a second one
- Canola oil into the third one
- Pour cold water over the ingredients in the bowl
- Mix until combined and smooth
- Pour the batter into the glass pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
Cream Cheese Frosting Directions
- Using a mixing bowl, combine the softened cream cheese and mix until smooth
- Add in the vanilla and powdered sugar and mix until combined
- Spread onto the cooled cake
- Sprinkle cinnamon over the top of the cake
- Place into the fridge overnight
- Cut and serve!