These Mashed Potato Rolls are soft and fluffy dinner rolls that are made with seasoned mashed potatoes in the oven. Only 15-minute prep and a family favorite!
Easy Mashed Potato Rolls
This simple and easy-to-make family favorite is so good and makes the perfect side dish. These rolls are so tender with a slightly sweet flavor. This is a great recipe when you have leftover mashed potatoes. Just add a little bit of butter and you are good to go!
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Instant Yeast: You will need this to allow the rolls to rise and double in size, especially when combined with all-purpose flour.
Sugar: Using sugar will make the rolls slightly sweet.
Potatoes: You will need leftover mashed potatoes for this recipe. You can also use instant potatoes or make your own homemade ones.
How To Make Mashed Potato Rolls
Step 1. Add the warm water, sugar, and yeast into a large bowl and combine. Allow the yeast to ‘bloom’ for 5-10 minutes. Put in the eggs, salt, butter, and mashed potatoes and combine gently with a spatula. Put in the flour and combine with a dough hook in an electric mixer or just use a wooden spoon until it forms a wet dough. Place a clean towel or plastic wrap lightly on top of the bowl before placing it in a warm area for 1 1/2 hours until it doubles in size.
Step 2. Use a cookie scoop to make 1 1/2 Tbsp dough balls and roll before placing 2 balls into each cup of a muffin tin greased with Pam baking spray. Continue until all the dough is used, cover lightly again, and allow it to double in size in a warm area for another 1 1/2 hours.
Step 3. Place the rolls into the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees to bake or until golden brown and fully cooked. Allow the rolls to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
What To Serve With Mashed Potato Rolls?
These are great dinner rolls to have with any kind of meal. I recommend these for a buffet of food at Christmas or on Thanksgiving. But, these would take amazing with turkey, chicken, ham, pulled pork, and more.
Tips & Tricks:
Here are some great hacks to make the best rolls:
- You want to store the recipe in an airtight container for the best storage method. These rolls can last for 5 days at room temperature and can be made ahead of time.
- All you need is basic mashed potatoes for this recipe. I mean simple potatoes with butter, milk, salt, and pepper. You want to avoid using potatoes with cheese. cream cheese, or runny potatoes.
- Instant mashed potatoes work very well with this recipe as well or you can boil 1-2 potatoes and make your own homemade.
More Potato Rolls:
Mashed Potato Rolls
- In a large bowl add your warm (not hot!) water, sugar, and yeast.
- Give the mix a little stir to combine.
- Let this mixture sit for 5-10 minutes just until the yeast blooms.
- Next add in your eggs, salt, butter, and mashed potatoes.
- Stir those together gently.
- Add in your flour and either use an electric mixer with a dough hook or just a wooden spoon to mix the dough until it just comes together.
- The dough will be wet dough.
- Cover the bowl lightly with a clean towel or plastic wrap.
- Set aside in a warm place for an hour and a half or until about doubled in size.
- I use a 1 ½ tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop out the dough and roll it into balls.
- I place 2 balls into each spot in a greased muffin tin.
- Repeat until all the dough is used.
- Cover again lightly.
- Let rise in a warm place for an hour and a half or until about doubled.
- Preheat your oven to 350 and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden and baked through.
- Cool slightly and serve!