These Swedish Meatballs are my families favorite recipe. They’re packed full of flavor and smothered in a creamy beef sauce.
We’re big fans of meatballs because they can be made in so many ways. You absolutely need to take a look at our Firecracker Chicken Meatballs and our Dr. Pepper Meatballs we made in the Instant Pot. They are some of our top contenders for favorite meatball!
The biggest difference between these and other meatballs you may have made at home like Italian meatballs, is the spices and meats used. For these, we use a combination of pork and beef. We also add in nutmeg and allspice spices which are crucial for this traditional flavor.
If the first time you ever tried these was at Ikea, you are not alone. That store has really made these popular!
- Beef – one pound
- Pork – one pound
- Onion – of the sweet variety (usually called Walla Walla and Vidalia)
- Garlic – minced
- Eggs – to keep the meatballs together
- Panko bread crumbs – these are a bit lighter than regular bread crumbs
- Allspice – one of the key spices of swedish meatballs
- Nutmeg – the other key spice
- Oil – for frying
For The Sauce:
- Beef Broth – the sauce base
- Sour Cream – this makes it creamy
- Flour – this thickens the sauce
- Salt & Pepper – to taste
How To Make Swedish Meatballs
This recipe is very easy to make. Scroll down for the step by step instructions.
- Mix. Grab all of your meatball ingredients and mix them up in a bowl.
- Shape. Using your hands or a meatball shaper, shape the mixture into meatballs.
- Cook. Heat oil in a skillet and cook the meatballs until gold brown.
- Sauce. Using that same pan, take your meatballs out and melt butter inside. Whisk in flour and simmer. When it thickens, add the sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Heat. Add your meatballs back into the sauce and heat until warm. Enjoy!
More Recipes To Try Next
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 small sweet onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup panko crumbs
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp ground allspice
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp olive oil divided
Gravy Sauce Ingredients
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 cups beef broth
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl combine all the meatball ingredients and mix well. Shape into 24 meatballs.
- Add 1 Tbsp oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, cook meatballs in 2 batches until golden brown and cooked through (6-7 minutes), turning as needed. Add more oil as needed. Remove from the skillet and cover with a towel or foil to keep warm.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and cook until golden.. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook it thickens, about 2 minutes. Add in sour cream and salt/pepper to taste.
- Add back the meatballs and toss in the gravy sauce. Cook until meatballs are heated through.