If you’re looking for an easy and adorable unicorn petit four recipe, look no further! These little treats are perfect for any Unicorn themed party or just because. Plus, they’re so simple to make that even the kids can help out.
Simple Unicorn Petit Fours
These petit fours are the cutest and simplest way to make any event feel magical. They’re always so cheerful and colorful, which is why they make the perfect addition to any party or get-together. So many people are intimidated by petit fours but they are so easy. And these unicorn ones are so fun.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
French Vanilla Cake Mix: You can make your own homemade cake, but using a box mix will save you a ton of time.
Eggs: You want to use eggs that are at room temperature. This will not only help with combining the ingredients but also prevents the recipe from breaking.
Canola Oil: Using Canola or Vegetable Oil will give the recipe a more moist texture. When combined together with eggs it will add an airy and fluffy consistency overall.
Milk: Use whole or 2% milk to add moisture to the recipe and add additional flavor.
Store Bought Vanilla Frosting: If you like making homemade frosting, you can make my favorite Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting and leave out the chocolate.
Food Coloring Gel: Be sure to use food coloring gel and not the liquid form to make it blend easier into the ingredients. Use a drop to a couple of drops to make the desired color of the recipe. You will need the colors Pink, Sky Blue, Black, and Purple.
How To Make Unicorn Petit Fours
Step 1. Set the oven to 350 degrees and use Pam baking spray to grease a petit four baking pan. Add the eggs, oil, and milk into a large bowl and combine until smooth. Separate the batter into four bowls.
Step 2. You will leave one bowl untouched and add pink, blue, and purple each into a separate bowl for the other 3 bowls. Add a teaspoon of each batter into the prepared pan cavities.
Step 3. Place the pan into the oven to bake for 15 minutes or until you place a toothpick in the middle and it comes out clean. Take out and transfer to a wire rack to cool thoroughly.
Step 1. Scoop one container of the frosting into a medium bowl and melt for 15-20 seconds in the microwave or until it’s liquidy. Add the heated frosting on top of the cakes to coat. Let it sit to firm up.
Step 2. Get 4 separate bowls and add 1/4 cup of the 2nd container of frosting into each. Place a few drops of each food coloring gel into their own bowl. You should be left with four colors.
Step 3. Add the pink and blue frosting into a piping bag with a star tip and place the purple and black frosting into the piping bag with a #2 tip. Use the pink/blue frosting to make ‘hair’ for the unicorn. Use purple to make dots on the ‘hair’ and the black frosting to add the details for the eyes. Put the unicorn sprinkle on the top middle of the petit four carefully and then, allow the frosting to sit for 30 minutes to firm up.
What Are Petit Fours?
Petit Fours are basically miniature cakes that are perfectly designed for tea parties, brunch or bridal showers or as finger foods. The tiny and delicate cakes are made in a petit four pan to shape them and then, they are coated with frosting. They can be colored, designed, and flavored any way you want.
More Unicorn Recipes:
- Unicorn Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Unicorn Easter Bunny Cake Recipe
- Easy Valentine Unicorn Cake
- Unicorn Cheesecake Bars
- Unicorn Cupcakes
Easy Unicorn Petit Fours Recipe
- 1 box french vanilla cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 C canola oil
- 1 C whole milk
- Pink, Sky Blue, Black, and Purple gel food coloring
- 2 containers vanilla frosting
- 1 package unicorn horn sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a petit four baking pan with pam baking spray
- Using a large bowl, whisk until combined the eggs, oil, and milk until combined and smooth
- Divide the batter into four bowls
- Mix in the pink, blue, and purple gel food coloring into their own bowls, leaving the 4th bowl color free
- Spoon 1 tsp of each batter into the petit four cavities
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Remove from the pan and place onto a wire rack
- Allow the petit four to cool completely
- Using one of the vanilla frosting containers, scoop into a medium bowl
- Microwave for 15 – 20 seconds or until the frosting is liquid-like
- Carefully pour the frosting over the petit fours to completely coat the cakes
- Allow the frosting to firm up.
- Using 4 bowls, spoon about 1⁄4 C of the second frosting container into each bowl
- Mix in a few drops of each color into their own bowl and mix until the colors are combined
- Scoop the pink and blue frosting into the piping bag fitted with the star tip
- Scoop the purple and the black frosting into the piping bag fitting with the number 2 tip
- Using the pink and blue frosting, pipe “hair” onto the unicorn
- Using the purple frosting, pipe little dots into the “hair”
- Using the black frosting, pipe details of the eyes on the front of the petit four
- Carefully place the unicorn horn sprinkle onto the top center of the petit four
- Allow the frosting to firm up for 30 minutes before enjoying!
- 2 disposable piping bags fitted with a small star tip
- 2 disposable piping bags fitted with a number 2 tip