This recipe for Cream Cheese Candy results in adorable little hearts that are perfect for Valentine’s Day, or any time! They have a rich cream cheese flavor that pairs great with the strawberry extract.
Valentine Cream Cheese Candy Mints
These little buttermints are tasty, sweet, and super cute! It’s a versatile recipe that can be tailored to any special occasion or flavor that you desire. I love this for Valentine’s Day because they make thoughtful gifts. There’s no baking involved so once they are prepared, all you have to do is let them dry out before eating. It’s so simple.
To experiment with this cream cheese candy recipe, try a different extract – like peppermint extract – to replace the strawberry. Use different sprinkles and food coloring to create whatever you like! I even recommend pastel colors and vanilla extract for an Easter treat! There are endless possibilities, but the result is always delicious.
What Are Cream Cheese Candies?
These are often called “cream cheese mints” or “wedding mints,” depending on who you ask. They are an old-fashioned candy that melts in your mouth! They take on any flavor you like, making them completely customizable. It was very common for them to be made for bridal showers and as wedding favors, hence the name “wedding mints.” However, they can be tailored for any occasion!
Ingredients You’ll Need
This recipe only requires 3 base ingredients, plus your flavoring and coloring. Powdered sugar is very inexpensive so it’s an affordable treat, too.
- Cream Cheese: Softened cream cheese will always be incorporated more easily. Leave it at room temperature for about 30 minutes before making this recipe.
- Butter: Treat the butter the same as the cream cheese. This way, all of the ingredients will combine smoothly, resulting in the best cream cheese candies.
- Powdered Sugar
- Strawberry Extract
- Red and Pink Gel Food Coloring: You’ll only need enough to get your desired color. Liquid food coloring can be used in a pinch, but don’t use too much, it can affect the consistency of the candy.
- Valentine Sprinkles
How to Make Cream Cheese Candy
It’s easier than ever to make delicious, homemade cream cheese candies! Prep only takes about 30 minutes, so it’s fast as well.
- Step 1: Combine Cream Cheese and Butter. Add cream cheese and butter to a large mixing bowl. Using a stand mixer, mix with a paddle attachment until smooth.
- Step 2: Add Strawberry and Sugar. Pour in strawberry extract and 2 cups of powdered sugar. Beat on low until combined.
- Step 3: Stir in Remaining Powdered Sugar. Gradually the remaining powdered sugar, one cup at a time. The result should be a play dough-like consistency.
- Step 4: Separate the Dough. Divide the dough into 3 equal portions and place them into bowls.
- Step 5: Add Coloring and Sprinkles. Color one bowl with red, one with pink, and the remaining with only the sprinkles.
- Step 6: Roll It Out. Roll out each of the small balls until it’s ¼-½ inch thick.
- Step 7: Make Lines. Drag the tines of a fork across the cream cheese candy dough to make lines.
- Step 8: Cut Out Hearts. Use a tiny heart-shaped cookie cutter to make the heart shapes and place them flat on a parchment paper-lined tray.
- Step 9: Dry. Allow the candies to dry for at least 2-4 hours or overnight.
- Step 10: Enjoy. Once they are dried out, they are ready to serve or store in an airtight container!
Variation Ideas for Old-fashioned Cream Cheese Mints
Want some other ideas for themes and flavors? Here are some of my cream cheese mint recipe favorites!
- Easter: Round or oval shape for eggs with vanilla or banana flavor. Use pastel pink, purple, blue, and yellow.
- Christmas: Classic red, green, and white would be perfect with classic peppermint flavor. Tiny trees or ornaments are the easiest shapes — and so cute. Our Christmas Peppermint Patties are another great option.
- Halloween: Dark purple, black, orange, and green are all great. Make pumpkins, cauldrons, or small discs. Any flavor would work great for Halloween! Try lemon or strawberry for a fruity flavor.
- Baby Shower: Try almond extract, maple, etc. If you are planning a gender reveal, you can easily make pink and blue cream cheese candy.
More Candy Recipes
- Cinnamon Hard Candy
- Martha Washington Candy
- Cool Whip Candy
- Homemade Payday Candy Bars
- Frozen Grapes With Jello
Cream Cheese Candy
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth
- Add in the strawberry extract and 2 cups of powdered sugar
- Beat on low until all incorporated.
- Continue adding powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until all the powdered sugar has been incorporated. It should not be sticky and an almost playdoh consistency.
- Separate the dough into 3 bowl and color one bowl red, one pink and then just add the sprinkles to the third
- Using a rolling pin roll out each ball of candy to about ¼-½ inch thick.
- Use a fork to drag lines down the rolled out dough.
- Then use a tiny heart cookie cutter to cut out your shapes and set on a parchment lined tray.
- Leave them to air dry for 2-4 hours or even overnight.