If you love soft sugar cookies, you are going to absolutely love these Valentine’s Day Lofthouse style Cookies. These tender cookies are fantastic. Similar to the cookies you find at the grocery store, these soft cookies with sugar cookie frosting are going to become your favorite.
If you love cookies as much as I do, these Snow Mitten Sugar Cookies are so cute and tasty, you will want to make these cookies.
Valentines Day Soft Sugar Cookies
- Unsalted butter
- Sour cream
- Pure vanilla extract
- Pure almond extract
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Cream of tartar
Ingredients in Sugar Cookie Frosting Recipe
- Unsalted butter
- Pure vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Heavy cream
- Food coloring
- Candy sprinkles
What Makes these Soft Sugar Cookies So Good?
These soft sugar cookies are made with baking soda and baking powder which gives them a slight cake like texture. Also, these cookies have sour cream in them as well as butter. It is important to use the sour cream because it adds acidity which gives a great flavor and it also activates the baking soda.
How long do soft sugar cookies last?
How to Make Valentine’s Day Loft Cookies
Using a mixer, beat the eggs and sugar together until it is fluffy. Add the egg and mix well.
Reduce the speed to low and add sour cream and vanilla. Be sure to scrape down the bowl.
In another bowl, sift together the four, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt.
With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl slowly. Mix it together until it well combined.
Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Preheat the oven and bring half of the cookie dough out of the refrigerator.
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Working with a tablespoon sized dough ball, roll it into a ball, then place it on the baking sheet. use the back of a spoon to press the cookie down and evenly flatten.
Bake for 9 to 13 minutes until the edges are starting to turn golden. Do not let the cookies get brown.
Remove them from the oven. The cookies will continue to cook as they cool. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
How to Make The Best Sugar Cookie Frosting Recipe
Cream the butter with a mixer until it is light and fluffy.
Add the salt, vanilla and 2 cups of powdered sugar and beat well.
Stir in heavy cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.
Add the remainder of the powdered sugar. Adjust to your tastes for the level of sweetness you like.
Beat until smooth.
Once cooled, frost the cookies and add the sprinkles.
Let the frosting set and store in an airtight container. Enjoy.
Valentine's Day Loft Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp pure almond extract recommended to give it that signature
- sugar cookie flavor but leave out if you prefer
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour measured correctly using spoon and level method
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Using your hand mixer or a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until nice and fluffy.
- Add egg and beat until incorporated.
- Reduce speed to low and add sour cream and vanilla and beat, until well combined, scraping down the bowl with a silicone spatula.
- In a separate bowl, sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt and whisk together.
- Turn the mixer on low and slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove half of the dough from the fridge. Working with a 1-tablespoon-sized piece of dough at a time, roll into a round ball.
- Place dough ball onto the prepared baking pan (spacing about 2 inches and use the bottom of a glass cup or the back of a large spoon to press and evenly flatten.
- Bake on middle rack in preheated oven for 9-13 minutes or until the cookies are just starting to turn golden (NOT brown) on the edges (switching and rotating baking sheets about halfway through). Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on the sheet.
- Cookies will continue to cook while they cool. Repeat with any remaining dough.
To make the butter cream frosting:
- Cream butter in a stand mixer or using your hand mixer for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add salt, vanilla then slowly add 2 cups of powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add heavy cream, 1 tablespoon at a time then add the remainder of powdered sugar until desired consistency and taste is reached (you may not need it all) and continue to beat until smooth.
- Once cookies have cooled completely, frost and add sprinkles, if desired. Allow frosting to set, then store in an air-tight container.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.