These Apple Cinnamon Muffins are filled with bites of apples and topped with a sweet streusel topping and vanilla glaze. Enjoy for breakfast, brunch, or dessert!
Easy Apple Cinnamon Muffins
These apple cinnamon muffins are one of my new favorite muffin recipes for late summer and fall. Cinnamon pairs with brown sugar in the streusel topping to give these muffins a warm fall flavor, while chunks of apple can be found in every bite. The vanilla glaze brings it all together and turns it into a lovely sweet treat.
With the streusel topping and glaze, these muffins definitely work as a dessert or an afternoon pick-me-up but sometimes you just need to start your day with a sweet treat too.
And the best part? These take just 30 minutes to prepare, from start to finish. (Though allow some extra time for cooling!)
Why You’ll Love These Apple Muffins
Here are a few reasons why this is my favorite apple cinnamon muffin recipe.
- Quick & easy prep. It takes about 10 minutes to get these muffins ready to bake. Plus, they take just 20 minutes in the oven, so you can be enjoying warm muffins in well under an hour!
- Crunchy sweet topping. The streusel topping is really what takes these apple muffins over the edge. It adds a bit of texture and sweetness.
- Filled with apple pieces. This recipe uses chunks of apple in the batter, so you get pieces of real apples in every bite!
What You’ll Need
Each part of this recipe – the muffins, the streusel topping, and the glaze – requires just a few ingredients. See the recipe card below for measurements.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder & baking soda – Help the muffins rise during baking.
- Ground cinnamon – Adds the warm cinnamon flavor throughout the muffins.
- Sugar – Granulated sugar is used in the muffins while both granulated and light brown sugar are used in the streusel topping.
- Apples – Use whatever apples you prefer to bake with.
- Milk – Whole or 2% will work.
- Vegetable oil – Ensures the muffins stay extra moist.
- Butter – Unsalted butter is used to create the streusel topping.
- Powdered sugar – Used to create the sweet vanilla glaze.
- Heavy cream – Mixed with powdered sugar to make the glaze.
What Apples Are Best For Cinnamon Apple Muffins?
Pretty much any apple you want. You can go for a tart apple like Granny Smith or something sweeter like Fuji, Honey Crisp, or Pink Lady.
How to Make Apple Cinnamon Muffins
Making these apple cinnamon muffins requires just 15 minutes or so of hands-on time.
- Prepare the muffin batter. Combine the dry ingredients with a whisk. Add the diced apples and toss to coat. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, and eggs. Pour the wet ingredients over the apples and stir with a spoon to combine.
- Fill the pan. Distribute the mixture into the muffin pan filled with paper liners. Set aside.
- Make the streusel topping. Combine the streusel ingredients in a bowl with a fork. Sprinkle evenly over the muffin batter.
- Bake. Bake for 17 to 20 minutes, until the topping is golden.
- Add the glaze. Whisk the glaze ingredients together until the desired consistency is reached and drizzle over the muffins.
Tips for Success
Here are a few tips for making the best cinnamon apple muffins.
- Use a firm apple. You can use pretty much any apple for these muffins but it’s important to make sure it’s ripe and firm, not soft. Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Fuji, Braeburn, and Pink Lady will all work.
- Don’t overmix the ingredients. Mix the batter just until the ingredients are combined. Overmixing can lead to dense muffins.
- How do I know when my apple muffins are done? The streusel topping should be golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean.
- Allow to cool before adding the glaze. If you add the vanilla glaze to muffins straight from the oven, it’ll just melt. Allow them to cool at least partially before adding the glaze.
These apple streusel muffins can be enjoyed for breakfast, dessert, or even an afternoon pick-me-up. The streusel topping and glaze definitely give these more of a sweet dessert taste than breakfast, though!
These muffins are best at room temperature.
Store your apple cinnamon muffins at room temperature for up to 3 days. Be sure to keep them in airtight container.
Can I Freeze Apple Streusel Muffins?
Yes, you can freeze these apple muffins. However, I recommend doing so before adding the glaze. Just allow the muffins to cool completely, then transfer to a freezer-safe container or wrap individually in plastic wrap.
Freeze for up to 3 months and thaw on the counter.
More Easy Muffin Recipes
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
For the muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and prepare a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and granulated sugar with a whisk.
- Add the chopped apples, and toss until they are well coated.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, vegetable oil, and eggs.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix gently with a spoon until completely combined.
- Evenly distribute the batter among the 12 cups. Fill each about ⅔ of the way. Set aside.
For the streusel topping
- Add all the streusel topping ingredients to a small mixing bowl, and mix with a fork until well combined.
- Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the muffin batter.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes or until the topping is golden and a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
For the vanilla glaze
- Whisk all the glaze ingredients together, and drizzle over the muffins