Have you ever eaten the classic dirt dessert with Oreos and gummy worms? This Dirt Pudding Recipe is based on the nostalgic treat we loved as kids. Now you get to make it for your kids to enjoy, too!
Delicious Dirt Cake
Growing up, we sometimes called this “graveyard cake” because we would make it during Halloween and add cookies as tombstones. It was so fun AND yummy. This concept is similar except the pudding and crushed cookies are layered in cute little buckets. If you can find tiny shovels it just makes it even more fun.
I love simple desserts that look like they took a lot of effort and time to prepare but are actually super easy! Themed desserts and treats are my favorite thing to make for parties. This no-bake recipe is perfect for any occasion – especially in the summer since it avoids any cooking. I’ve made these for potlucks, BBQs, and even birthdays. Of course, you can make them just because you want to!
Gummy worms are one of my guilty pleasures so I always make sure to buy extra. (I end up snacking on them while I prepare the dirty pudding cups – I can’t help myself).
What You’ll Need
You don’t need a lot of ingredients to pull off this tasty dirt dessert. I love making it for gatherings! The exact measurements will be listed in the recipe card that you will find when you scroll below.
- Instant Chocolate Pudding: if you don’t have cream cheese on hand, you can make our homemade chocolate pudding recipe.
- Cream Cheese: Leave it out at room temperature for about 30 minutes to soften.
- Milk: This works best if it’s really cold.
- Whipped Topping: Cool Whip or make our easy homemade whipped cream.
- Crushed Oreos
- Gummy Worms
- Clear Buckets
Watch The Recipe Video!
How to Make Dirt Pudding With Oreos
These step-by-step instructions for this recipe for dirt pudding are easier than ever to follow and it’s so quick!
- Crush Oreos. Add the cookies to a food processor and pulse until you have coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Make Pudding. Add the pudding mixes and softened cream cheese to a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until well combined. Then, gradually pour in the milk and continue to beat with the mixer until it’s all well mixed.
- Add Whipped Topping. Fold in the Whipped topping.
- Layer the Dessert. Start with a spoonful of crushed cookies at the bottom of each bucket. Add a layer of pudding, more crumbs, a second layer of pudding, then finally top with more Oreos.
- Add Gummy Worms. Place gummy worms on the top of the buckets. You can add as many as you like.
- Chill and Serve. Refrigerate the dirt cups for at least 1 hour and then serve it cold.
Tips and Variations For Dirt Pudding Recipe
- Use vanilla, chocolate fudge, butterscotch, etc in place of the chocolate pudding for different flavors.
- Any chocolate sandwich cookie will work including the store brand. You can use any flavor of Oreo you like as well. Sometimes I like to use the peanut butter ones in the dirt cups!
- Don’t have any pudding mix on hand? Make our homemade chocolate pudding.
- There is no limit on the amount of gummy worms that you use. Even the sour ones work great.
- You can make these ahead of time if you are bringing them to a gathering and keep them in the refrigerator overnight.
- If you don’t have a food processor, no worries! Place the Oreos in a gallon-size zip-top bag and crush them with a rolling pin. Sometimes I prefer doing it like this if I want to have pieces that vary in size.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
More Pudding Desserts to Try
- Easy Banana Pudding Recipe
- Pineapple Pudding Cake
- White Chocolate Funfetti Pudding Cookies
- Orange Creamsicle Lush
- Peanut Butter Lasagna
Dirt Pudding Recipe
- 2 3.9 oz boxes instant chocolate pudding
- 1 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 4 cups cold milk
- 1 8 oz whipped cream or Cool Whip, thawed
- Crush Oreo cookies in Food Processor and set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer beat together the cream cheese and pudding mixes until combined.
- Using the electric mixer add the milk a little at a time until everything is combined.
- Next fold in the whipped cream until well combined.
- Spoon some Oreo crumbs down the bottom of each bucket.
- Next add a layer of the pudding mix, another layer of Oreo crumbs.
- Add another layer of pudding mix and complete them with a final layer of Oreo crumbs
- Place your gummi worms on the top of the buckets.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.