These Baking Substitutes are a life saver when your in the middle of a recipe realizing you don’t have one of the ingredients. We have provided a free printable for you that has list of common baking substitutions so your recipes will still turn out amazing regardless if you are missing an ingredient or two!
Here is a list of the most common and helpful baking substitutions. Please note that while these will work most of the time, it’s possible that any of these substitutions could result in slightly altered taste or texture of baked recipes. However, we have had great luck using these. You can make lots of our delicious cakes, cookies and dessert recipes using these subs with great results!
The additional ingredient substitutions (listed below) are very helpful as well.
Common Baking Substitutes
- 1 cup Self Rising Flour = 1 cup all-purpose flour + 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup Cake Flour = 1 cup all-purpose flour + 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 cup Buttermilk = 1 cup milk + 1 Tbsp vinegar or 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup Sour Cream = 1 cup greek yogurt + 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup Oil = 1 cup apple sauce
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract = 1 tsp maple syrup or 1 1/2 tsp Honey
- 1 cup Honey = 1 cup maple syrup or 1/2 water + 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup Brown Sugar = 1 cup sugar + 2 Tbsp molasses OR 1 cup sugar + 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp Cream of Tartar = 2 tsp lemon juice OR 2 tsp vinegar
Butter Substitute for Baking
- 1 cup Butter = 1 cup shortening or 1 cup apple sauce
Egg Substitute for Baking
- 1 Egg = 1/2 large banana
Baking Soda Substitute
- 1 tsp Baking Soda = 4 tsp baking powder
Baking Powder Substitute
- 1 tsp Baking Powder = 1/4 tsp baking soda + 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
Other Cooking Substitutions
- 1 cup Wine = 1 cup chicken, beef or vegetable broth
- 1 cup Bread Crumbs = 1 cup rolled oats OR 1 cup crushed corn flakes OR 1 cup crushed crackers
- 3 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder = 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate + reduce fat in recipe by 1 tablespoon.
- 3 Tbsp Dutch-process Cocoa Powder = 3 tablespoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder + ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ounce Unsweetened Chocolate = 3 tablespoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder + 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, vegetable oil or shortening
1 envelope (¼-ounce) active dry yeast = 2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
1 envelope (¼-ounce) active dry yeast = 2¼ teaspoons rapid-rise yeast
1 envelope (¼-ounce) active dry yeast = ⅓ of a 2-ounce cake yeast
- 1 cup Yogurt = 1 cup sour cream or 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Tomato Sauce = 1/2 cup tomato paste combined with 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup Raisins = 1 cup dried crarnberries
- 1 cup Ricotta Cheese = 2 cups drained cottage cheese (will reduce to 1 cup) OR 1 cup silken tofu
- 1 Tbsp Orange Zest = 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice = 1/2 tsp cinnamon combined with 1/4 tsp dried ginger, 1/8 tsp nutmeg and 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup Onion = 1 cup chopped leeks, green onions OR 1/4 dried onion flakes OR 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 cup Molasses = 3/4 cup brown sugar + 1 tsp cream of tarter combined
- 1 tsp Dry Mustard = 1 Tbsp prepared mustard
- 1 Tbsp Prepared Mustard = 1 Tbsp dry mustard mixed with 1 tsp water, 1 tsp white vinegar and 1 tsp sugar
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.
3 comments on “Baking Substitutes + Free Printable”
Spice recipes are a big favorite with me.
I would like this