This Bang Bang Shrimp recipe combines crispy fried shrimp with a sweet and spicy Thai chili sauce. The combination is perfection and even better than what you get at Bonefish Grill! This easy shrimp recipe can be served over rice, noodles or by itself as an appetizer.
What Is Bang Bang Shrimp?
Bang Bang Shrimp is an appetizer that became popular by the chain restaurant, Bonefish Grill. Deep-fried seasoned shrimp with a crunchy texture and a delicious sauce. What sets this recipe over the top is the sauce because it’s sweet with a slight kick.
This shrimp recipe is so good and easy to make that you will want to make this every night for a whole week! This is a recipe that only has a few ingredients for each step and can be ready in no time. I love making this as an appetizer for parties or as a meal for dinner.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Shrimp: When you make your shrimp, you want to make sure that they are peeled, deveined, and the tails are removed. However, the tails can be left on if you prefer.
Seasonings: Salt, Black Pepper Powder, Old Bay Seasoning, and cilantro for garnish.
Flour: Using all-purpose flour can help coat the base of the shrimp as well as helping the panko stick for the crispiest texture.
Panko Bread Crumbs: I like using panko to get the crunchiest and crispiest shrimp. Also known as Japanese-style breadcrumbs, panko is a larger crumb than standard breadcrumbs and crisps up beautifully in the oven.
Bang Bang Sauce: A mixture of nonfat plain Mayonnaise, Thai sweet chili sauce, and Sriracha becomes a delicious copycat of Bonefish Grill’s famous sauce. It’s a sweet and spicy sauce that’s delicious with other dishes as well.
How To Make Bang Bang Shrimp
Step 1. Add the prepared shrimp into a large bowl with salt and pepper. Using three separate bowls, add the flour into one, a beaten egg into another, and the panko crumbs and old bay seasoning mixed into the final bowl.
Step 2. Starting with one shrimp at a time, dip into the flour and shake off any excess. Dip into the egg, then coat in the panko and continue for a second time to get a super crispy shrimp. Repeat until all the shrimps are coated and allow them to sit for 5 minutes.
Step 1. Add 2-2 1/2 inches of oil into a deep pan and let the oil heat to 375 degrees. Put about 9-10 pieces of the prepared shrimp into the hot oil and cook on a medium flame until crispy, light brown, and fully cooked on the inside for about 2-3 minutes. Make sure to not overcook or the shrimp may become rubbery and chewy.
Step 2. Take the shrimp out of the oil and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to catch the excess oil.
How To Make Bang Bang Sauce
Step 1. Add all the bang-bang ingredients into a bowl and combine.
Step 2. Top the crispy shrimp with some chopped fresh cilantro and top with the prepared sauce and toss to coat or use it as a dipping sauce. Serve and Enjoy!
How to Make Bang Bang Shrimp in an Air Fryer
In addition to traditionally frying Bang Bang shrimp in a skillet, for those who own an air fryer, this appliance is perfectly suited for making the crispy fried shrimp without the guilt.
- Prepare the shrimp as directed in Step 1.
- Place the shrimp into the air fryer (only as many will fit in a single layer). Mist the top of the shrimp with nonstick spray, and close the air fryer.
- Cook for 5 minutes at 400 degrees. Turn the shrimp over, spray the shrimp with nonstick spray, and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Remove shrimp and continue with any remaining batches, until all the shrimp are cooked.
- Serve with sauce.
- To Store. This recipe is best right after it’s prepared, but leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. Store leftover bang bang sauce in a separate airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To Reheat. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray, and reheat shrimp on the baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees F. We do not suggest reheating in the microwave as this would make the outside coating with a soft/soggy texture.
- Freezing. not recommended.
More Shrimp Recipes:
- Shrimp and Corn Chowder (Slow Cooker)
- Instant Pot Shrimp Scampi Pasta
- Cajun Shrimp and Grits
- Creamy Shrimp Pasta
Bang Bang Shrimp
BANG BANG SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp sriracha
- 2 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
- In a large bowl season the shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Place all-purpose flour, beaten egg, and Panko bread crumbs in three separate bowls. Mix old bay seasoning into the panko.
- Working with one shrimp at a time, dip the shrimp in the flour, shake off the excess flour then dip it in the egg and then coat it in the bread crumbs, repeat the process for a second time to make it extra crunchy.
- Coat all the shrimps and let them rest for 5 minutes.
- In a pan fill oil (about 2 -2 ½ inches deep) and heat to around 375 F. Place 9-10 pieces of shrimp in the hot oil and fry the shrimps on medium flame until crisp, golden, and evenly cooked from inside (about 2-3 minutes). Just make sure not to overcook as that might turn shrimp rubbery and chewy.
- Remove the shrimps from the oil and drain the excess oil using a paper towel.
- Next, mix all the ingredients under bang bang sauce.
- Garnish hot crispy shrimps with chopped cilantro and serve with bang bang sauce on the side OR pour the sauce over the fried shrimps and toss properly.