Shrimp and Corn Chowder (Slow Cooker)
If you’re looking for a delicious dinner for your friends and family, then look no further. This Shrimp and Corn Chowder just maybe a new favorite recipe in your household. A filling chowder with veggies and seafood, this is an incredible slow cooker dinner for a cold night.
Shrimp and Corn Chowder
This Shrimp and Corn Chowder is so delicious! This chowder has a wonderful blend of ingredients that packs this soup with so much flavor. The thick and creamy texture is so amazing that it will just melt in your mouth. Pair this shrimp chowder with Beer Bread Recipe or Homemade White Bread Recipe.
- Butter- Use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Onion- You will need a medium-sized onion diced for this recipe.
- Garlic- This will add a wonderful aroma to the chowder.
- Flour- You will need to use all-purpose flour for the best results.
- Stock- You will need this to be chicken flavored.
- Corn Kernels- You can use frozen or fresh corn kernels.
- Herbs- You will need the dried mix of herbs.
- Red Pepper Flakes- This is an optional ingredient to use in the chowder.
- Pepper- This will be used for additional taste.
- Salt- This will bring out the flavors in your recipe.
- Shrimp- These can be fresh or frozen and will need to be peeled and deveined with the tails intact.
- Cream Cheese- This will need to be softened or at room temperature.
- Heavy Cream- This will help with the consistency of the chowder.
How to Make Shrimp and Corn Chowder
Add the butter into a skillet over medium heat. Put the diced onions in the skillet and cook until tender and clear.
Put in the garlic and continue to cook for another 30 seconds until fragrant.
Mix in the flour and combine until the onions and garlic are fully coated.
Pour in 1/2 cups of the stock and combine until there are no lumps.
Pour the onion mixture into the insert of the slow cooker.
Put in the remaining stock and add in the corn, herbs, black pepper, and salt. If you decide to use the red pepper flakes, add those in too.
Set the slow cooker to high and cook for 3 hours.
Put in the shrimp, cream cheese, and heavy cream.
Keep on high and cook for another 30 minutes to an hour or until the shrimp has turned pink all throughout.
Add more seasoning to your liking.
Serve the chowder in a serving bowl with some chopped chives on top, more red pepper if you desire, etc.
Add some frozen meatballs into the slow cooker.
Add cranberry sauce, ketchup, lemon juice, brown sugar, and garlic powder.
Close the lid and cook for 2-3 hours on high.
Add toppings of your choice.
Serve and enjoy.
How do You Thicken Seafood Chowder?
You can add two different things to have a thicker Seafood Chowder. Blend up some potatoes and add in or use potato flakes to thicken as well. You can also use a cornstarch slurry and add it in. You can make a cornstarch slurry by combine cornstarch and water.
What Do You Eat with Corn Chowder?
There are a couple of sides or things you can eat with corn chowder. The best food to eat with chowder is bread. You can use any type of bread or biscuits to enjoy with your chowder, but I recommend finding the best crunchy or crispy bread. Also, a nice fresh food like salad goes very well with the creamy and warm chowder.
More Chowder Recipes
Shrimp and Corn Chowder
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ cups chicken stock
- 2 cups frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 1 tbsp mixed dried herbs
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt plus more to taste
- 1 pound medium fresh or frozen thawed shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left intact, optional)
- 3 oz cream cheese cubed
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Optional garnish: chopped chives more red pepper flakes, etc.
- In a skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and cook until translucent
- Add the garlic and cook until garlic is fragrant about 30 seconds
- Add the flour and mix well to coat the onions and garlic.
- Add ½ cup of chicken stock, mixing well to remove any lumps.
- Transfer onion mixture to the slow cooker insert.
- Add the rest of the chicken stock, corn, herbs, red pepper flakes if using, black pepper, and salt. Mix well
- Cook on “high” for 3 hours
- Add the shrimp, cream cheese, and heavy cream
- Cook on “high” for a further 30mins-1 hour until shrimp is pink through
- Adjust seasoning as needed
- Serve warm garnished with chopped chives, more red pepper flakes, etc.
- Place frozen meatballs into the slow cooker.
- Mix in cranberry sauce, ketchup, lemon juice, brown sugar, and garlic powder.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 2-3.
- Serve with toppings of your choice