Cajun Shrimp and Grits is a simple recipe with buttery homemade grits with spicy seasoned shrimp on top.
It seems as though people either love shrimp or hate it. I’m definitely in the love category and have really enjoyed this recipe.
Cajun Shrimp and Grits
These grits are super flavorful all on their own and when you add these delicious pan fried shrimp with them, it’s even better.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- Cajun Seasoning
- Louisiana Hot Sauce
- Chicken Broth
- Stone Ground Grits
What Kind of Shrimp Should I Use?
For this, you will want shrimp that is completely ready to eat: peeled, deveined and tails removed. You can choose if you’d like medium or large shrimp. It can be fresh or frozen, but make sure it’s thawed completely before cooking.
Stone Ground Grits
These kind of grits are less processed and cook much more slowly than the quick grits.
Stone-ground grits are made from whole dried corn kernels that have been coarsely ground the old-fashioned way: between the two stones of a grist mill.
How Do You Make Cajun Shrimp and Grits
- Grits. Start by bringing milk, broth and salt to a boil, then add in garlic and grits. Let it simmer, then remove from the heat.
- Shrimp. Heat hot sauce and butter in a pan. Toss the shrimp in seasoning and cook it in the hot sauce mixture for a couple of minutes.
- Serve. Spoon some of the grits into a bowl and top with your freshly cooked shrimp.
More Recipes To Try
Cajun Shrimp and Grits
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup stone ground grits
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Cajun Shrimp Ingredients:
- 16 ounces large or medium shrimp peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana hot sauce
- 1 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- In a pot over medium heat, add milk, chicken broth, and salt. Bring to a boil, then slowly whisk in the grits and minced garlic.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes, whisking frequently. If grits begin to stick to pan, reduce heat. If it gets too thick, add a few splashes of milk until it's creamy again.
- Stir in the butter and pepper.
- Cover and remove from heat.
Cajun Shrimp Directions:
- In a mixing bowl, toss the shrimp with the cajun seasoning.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in the hot sauce.
- Distribute the shrimp over the skillet in a single layer. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then flip and cook for 1 additional minute. Remove from heat.
- Spoon grits into a bowl, then top with shrimp and any remaining butter in pan.
- Top with sliced green onions as a garnish.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.