These BBQ Meatballs feature homemade meatballs topped with your favorite BBQ sauce and baked until the glaze is perfectly sticky. An easy (and irresistible) appetizer or entree!
Easy BBQ Meatballs Recipe
These BBQ meatballs have quickly become a family favorite. We serve them both as a party appetizer on game day and as an easy weeknight dinner over rice.
The best part about them is that you can customize them each time you make them, by using a different BBQ sauce each time. Perfect for adding the recipe to your regular dinner menu, without feeling like you’re eating the same thing all the time!
I used both ground beef and ground pork in the meatballs, which adds flavor, and the barbecue sauce is mixed right in with the meat. That helps keep the meatballs extra moist and ensures there’s plenty of BBQ flavor in every bite!
If you prefer a slow cooker version, check out my slow cooker BBQ pineapple meatballs.
Why You’ll Love These BBQ Meatballs
Here are a few reasons why our family loves these BBQ glazed meatballs.
- Juicy, flavorful meatballs. The meatballs themselves are made with a mixture of ground beef and pork, plus a few seasonings and aromatics, and BBQ sauce mixed right in. They’re juicy and flavorful before you even add the glaze!
- Customize with your favorite BBQ sauce. You can use any BBQ sauce you love on these meatballs. I like to switch between my classic homemade BBQ sauce and my Dr Pepper BBQ sauce.
- Versatile. These meatballs can be enjoyed as an appetizer or an entree, however you prefer!
What You’ll Need
These meatballs are made with just a handful of ingredients. Scroll down to the recipe card below for measurements.
- Ground beef & ground pork – Using a mixture of ground beef and pork creates the best flavor in these BBQ meatballs.
- Onion & garlic – Aromatics to add flavor to the meat.
- Seasonings – Chili powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Panko breadcrumbs – Add texture and help the meatballs keep their shape.
- BBQ sauce – You can use any BBQ sauce you desire, like our homemade BBQ sauce or Dr Pepper BBQ sauce.
How to Make BBQ Meatballs
Here’s a quick overview of how to make these BBQ meatballs in the oven. See the recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- Combine the ingredients. Combine all of the ingredients, using only 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce, until evenly incorporated.
- Form the meatballs. Form the mixture into meatballs approximately 1 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until no longer pink in the middle. Remove the meatballs from the oven and increase the temperature to 425F. Brush the meatballs with the remaining BBQ sauce. Bake for an additional 5-7 minutes, until the BBQ sauce is sticky and caramelized.
Tips & Variations
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when making these BBQ meatballs.
- You can adjust the size of the meatballs according to your preference. Aim for about 1 to 1 1/2 inch in diameter for even cooking or keep them all roughly the same size and adjust the cook time.
- Broil the meatballs on high for a few minutes after baking to give them a little char and extra caramelization on top. Keep a close eye on them to prevent burning.
- Feel free to customize the recipe by adding your favorite spices or seasonings to the meatball mixture. If you already have a favorite meatball recipe, you can easily use it to make these meatballs too. We highly recommend this one of course and definitely homemade (not frozen meatballs).
- Experiment with different types of BBQ sauce for the glaze. The easiest way to customize the flavor of these meatballs is to use different types of BBQ sauce, such as sweet, spicy, or smoky flavors.
- Substitutes. Feel free to change out the meat. For turkey meatballs use ground turkey or ground chicken will also work.
These BBQ meatballs make a great appetizer for parties and the holidays, served with toothpicks for easy grabbing. You can also serve them as the main course, with sides like coleslaw and cornbread or mashed potatoes and green beans. Mac and cheese would also make a great side dish for these.
If desired, you can also garnish the meatballs with chopped green onions for added freshness and flavor before serving. We also like to serve some extra BBQ sauce on the side for dipping.
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
- Fridge. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Reheat. Reheat the meatballs in the microwave or oven until heated through before serving.
More Meatball Recipes To Try
- Swedish Meatballs
- Teriyaki Meatballs
- Grape Jelly Meatballs
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Dr. Pepper Meatballs
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil lightly greased. In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, ground pork, finely chopped onion, minced garlic, chili powder, salt, black pepper, panko breadcrumbs, and 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce. Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Shape the mixture into meatballs, about 1 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter, and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the meatballs in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until they are cooked through and no longer pink in the center.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven and increase the oven temperature to 425°F (220°C).
- Brush the meatballs generously with additional BBQ sauce, ensuring they are coated evenly.
- Return the meatballs to the oven and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until the glaze is sticky and caramelized.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped green onions if desired.
- Serve the BBQ glazed meatballs as an appetizer or as part of a main course. They are great on their own, with toothpicks for easy grabbing, or served with a side of coleslaw or cornbread for a complete meal. Enjoy!