These Sweet And Sour Meatballs are sure to tantalize your taste buds. This meatball recipe is the perfect appetizer or main course! They’re easy to make, and they’re sure to please everyone.
Want even more meatball recipes? Try these grape jelly meatballs!
Sweet And Sour Meatballs
This sweet and sour meatball recipe is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re hosting a party or just looking to make a quick and easy dinner, these meatballs are sure to please.
They’re also incredibly versatile – you can serve them with rice, noodles, or even on their own as an appetizer. And, if you’re feeling really adventurous, you can even add a little bit of spice to the sauce to give them an extra kick.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
- Ground Beef: I like to use 90%-96% lean ground beef, but you can use ground turkey or other ground meats.
- Oatmeal: Using oats will help form and shape the meatballs.
- Egg: Add an egg to the recipe to form more structure in the meatball to hold it together. You don’t want your meatballs to fall apart!
- Milk: This will add some liquid to the meatballs so it doesn’t come out too dry.
- Worcestershire Sauce: To get a lovely smokey flavor, I like to add this to the recipe.
- Seasonings: Use onion flakes, and parsley to add flavor to the recipe.
- Brown Sugar: This will add richness to the flavor of the meatballs.
- Ketchup: Add sweeter flavors by using ketchup in the sauce.
- Spicy Brown Mustard: This will add a slight kick to the sauce which I love.
- White Vinegar: Use this to the sauce for additional flavor and consistency.
How To Make Sweet And Sour Meatballs
Step 1. Set the oven to 375 degrees and use cooking spray to grease a casserole pan or glass baking pan. Add the ground beef, oats, egg, milk, Worcestershire sauce, and onion into a medium bowl and combine. Form into small meatballs about 1-1 1/2- inches in size and arrange into the prepared dish.
Step 2. Add the brown sugar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and vinegar into a small bowl and combine. Pour on top of the prepared meatballs.
Step 3. Top with parsley and serve with rice or mashed potatoes.
What Are Sweet And Sour Meatballs?
Sweet and sour meatballs are exactly what they sound like – meatballs that are coated in a sweet and sour sauce. The sauce is usually made with a combination of vinegar, sugar, and tomato paste, and it’s simmered until it’s thick and glossy.
The meatballs are usually made with ground beef or pork, but you can also make them with ground chicken or turkey. They’re typically fried before being added to the sauce, although you can also bake or broil them if you prefer.
How To Store Leftover Sweet And Sour Meatballs?
If you have leftovers, simply store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can reheat them on the stovetop or in the microwave when you’re ready to eat.
More Meatball Recipes:
- Asian Meatballs (Instant Pot)
- Slow Cooker BBQ Pineapple Meatballs
- Swedish Meatballs
- Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs
Sweet And Sour Meatballs
- ½ lb. ground beef lean 90% – 96% lean
- ¼ cup oatmeal quick oats
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ tsp onion flakes minced or ¼ cup chopped fresh onion
- parsley Chopped for garnish
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup ketchup or barbecue sauce
- 1 ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp spicy brown mustard prepared
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a casserole pan or glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ground beef, oats, egg, milk, Worcestershire sauce, and onion. Shape into small meatballs (1 – 1 ½ inches). Place in prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and vinegar. Pour sauce over meatballs.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45-50 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink inside.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve over rice or mashed potatoes.