This moist Lemon Pound Cake has the perfect amount of tangy lemon flavor and topped with a delicious lemon glaze. The best Spring dessert to enjoy with tea or a cup of coffee.
The Best Lemon Pound Cake Recipe
This is the ultimate lemon dessert for anyone who loves lemon! I adore lemon in desserts as well as savory dishes. I feel like it enhances a lot of different flavor profiles. Baking with it is one of my favorite ways to enjoy it. This lemon pound cake is soft, tender, and bursting with lemon flavor without tasting sour.
I have to say that the lemon glaze is really what makes this recipe pop. It’s thick and creamy and adds even more lemon flavor without being over the top or too sweet.
Ingredients You’ll Need
I typically have the basic staples to make this recipe in my kitchen at all times. The only ingredient I don’t always have on hand is Greek yogurt, but you can find it any any grocery store!
For the Cake
- Flour: All-purpose is best
- Baking Soda, Baking Powder and Salt
- Butter: I use unsalted butter in this recipe because I also add salt. Make sure it is softened before making the batter. Otherwise, it will be lumpy.
- Sugar: you will need granulated
- Lemon Zest
- Lemon Juice: I prefer to use fresh lemon juice and since you also need zest, it works out perfectly.
- Vanilla Extract
- Greek Yogurt: Use any variety of Greek yogurt that you like. Low-fat or nonfat are fine, too.
- Yellow Food Coloring: This is optional to add some color to the cake.
For the Glaze
- Powdered Sugar: if you sift the powdered sugar, the glaze will be smoother
- Heavy Cream: this is also known as heavy whipping cream
- Lemon Juice: fresh is best
How to Make this Lemon Pound Cake Recipe
This delicious lemon pound cake recipe is super simple to prepare. It takes less than an hour to bake to perfection and the glaze adds even more tangy lemon flavor.
- Prepare the Oven and Pan. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F and line your loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Combine Dry Ingredients. Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Beat Butter and Sugar. Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add Eggs, Lemon, and Vanilla. Beat in eggs, lemon zest/juice, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Gradually Add Flour Mixture. Slowly pour in the flour mixture and beat on low speed until combined.
- Add Greek Yogurt. Mix in the yogurt until combined.
- Add Optional Food Coloring. If using the food coloring, add a couple of drops to the pound cake batter and stir until evenly distributed.
- Pour the Batter into the Pan. Spoon the batter into the loaf pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake. Place it in the oven and bake for 50-55 minutes. Insert a toothpick and it will come out clean when it’s ready.
- Cool. Allow the pound cake to cool for 15 minutes and then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Glaze
- Mix the Glaze. Combine all three ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add to the Loaf. Pour it over the cooled lemon cake.
How to Store Leftovers
Place leftovers of this lemon pound cake into an airtight container. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
This pound cake recipe can also be frozen. Place the baked and cooled cake into a freezer bag without the glaze. Store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost for 24 hours in the refrigerator before enjoying. Make the lemon glaze right before serving.
More Loaf Cake Recipes
Lemon Pound Cake
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper and grease with cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt with a whisk. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Mix on low speed while gradually adding the flour mixture until completely combined. Add the greek yogurt and mix until combined. If desired, you can add a couple drops of yellow food coloring at a time until the desired color is reached.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan, and bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Allow the loaf to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, before removing and allowing to finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Add all the glaze ingredients to a bowl and whisk until completely combined and smooth.
- Pour over the loaf. Cool, slice and enjoy.