Best Ever Mississippi Mud Cake Recipe
This is an easy and classic Mississippi Mud Cake Recipe. This sheet cake is a moist chocolate cake that has marshmallows and is topped with a chocolate frosting. It is such a rich and decadent dessert that is sure to please.
If you love sheet cakes like this one, you will also love Chocolate Peanut Butter Texas Sheet Cake.
Best Ever Mississippi Mud Cake Recipe
Mississippi Mud Cake is called that because the rich chocolate cake resembles the muddy banks of the Mississippi. The bottom of this cake is a rich delicious chocolate cake with walnuts mixed in and then it is topped with melted marshmallows. No matter where it gets its name, it is simply delicious.
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Unsalted butter
- Ghirardelli cocoa powder
- Kosher salt
- Pure vanilla extract
- Powdered Sugar
- Evaporated Milk
How to Make a Mississippi Mud Cake
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9*13 inch baking dish with baking spray.
In a microwave safe bowl, melt together the butter and cocoa powder until melted.
Using a large bowl, combine the sugar, vanilla, and eggs.
Slowly whisk in the chocolate mixture until it is well combined.
Whisk together the four and salt and then slowly add it to wet ingredients.
Fold in the chopped walnuts and pour the batter into the baking dish.
Bake the cake in the oven for 35-45 minutes, the cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean.
As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, add the marshmallows on top.
Place the cake back into the oven for 4 minutes. This will slightly melt the marshmallows.
Open the frosting, removing the foil. Microwave the container for 45 seconds.
Pour the frosting over the marshmallows and smooth evenly across the cake.
Allow the frosting to set for about an hour before serving!
Does Mississippi Mud Cake Need to Be Refrigerated?
You can refrigerate the cake in order to set the frosting. Once the frosting has set, you will want to store the cake at room temperature. Since this frosting does not need to be refrigerated like cream cheese frosting does, it can be stored at room temperature. Avoid refrigerating cake when possible because it makes the cake taste dry out.
Can These Become Chocolate Mud Cupcakes Instead?
You can easily make these into Chocolate Mud cupcakes. You will make the batter as normal and then instead of putting it in a sheet cake pan, you will want to fill the cupcake wrappers ⅔ of the way full. Bake the cupcakes and then once the cupcakes are finished, add the marshmallows to the cupcakes and then copy the directions for the cake.
You can use boxed cake mix to save time or use pre-made frosting. I would not recommend using both because you want at least part of the cake homemade. I personally think canned frosting has a weird taste so if you are rushed, just replace the cake part.
Other Easy Cake Recipes You Will Love:
Mississippi Mud Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup Ghirardelli cocoa powder
- 2 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cup flour
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 - 16 oz container of chocolate frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 4 3/4 - 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with pam baking spray
- Using a medium heatproof bowl, melt the butter and cocoa powder
- together in increments of 45 seconds until completely melted
- Using a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, vanilla and eggs until combined
- Gradually whisk in the chocolate butter mixture until combined
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt and gradually whisk into the wet ingredients
- Fold in the chopped walnuts
- Pour the batter into the baking dish
- Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven top with the marshmallows
- Place back into the oven for 4 minutes so that the marshmallow starts to slightly melt
- Place the cake onto the counter
- Pour frosting over marshmallow cream and spread evenly on top. Let chill in fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Allow the frosting to set for about an hour before serving!
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium low heat. Remove from heat and add powdered sugar, cocoa, vanilla and evaporated milk. Mix until well combined and smooth. Pour evenly over marshmallow layer and spread carefully.