Comforting breakfasts are always a family favorite, including this recipe for the best Breakfast Casserole Recipe. It has savory sausage, sweet bell peppers, cheese, and creamy eggs. It’s a balanced meal that will be requested over and over again.
The Easiest Family Breakfast Ever
Cooking for your family is a never ending job that can sometimes feel tedious and time-consuming. Why not make a delicious and easy meal that you’ll love to eat AND make? This egg casserole is packed full of protein and flavor that is bound to be a crowd-pleaser!
The best part is that it’s also so versatile. You can omit and substitute ingredients to make it your own or for a picky eater. I love switching up the veggies and meat to create a breakfast casserole that is still so yummy but a little bit different, too! You can also add in crescents and try our Make-Ahead Crescent Breakfast Casserole.
Short on time? Try our Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole and let the crockpot do the work for you.
Watch The Recipe Video!
What You’ll Need
You will need these ingredients to make this yummy egg and sausage casserole!
- Ground Pork Sausage: This will be browned before being added to the egg casserole.
- Red Bell Pepper: Remove the seeds and dice.
- Yellow Onion: Finely diced.
- Frozen Hash Browns
- Cheddar Cheese: You can buy this shredded or shred it yourself.
- Whole Milk: any type of milk can be used, including skim or non-dairy.
How to Make this Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Executing this mouthwatering meal takes minimal steps, giving you more time to sit and relax. Plus, it can be enjoyed for breakfast, dinner, or anytime you want.
- Prep the Dish and Oven. Spray your 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick spray. Then, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook Sausage and Veggies. Over medium-high heat, brown your ground sausage in a nonstick skillet. Then, add bell peppers and onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the pork is no longer pink and the veggies are soft. This should take about 8-10 minutes.
- Drain. Drain the fat from the skillet and add the cooked sausage and vegetables to the casserole dish.
- Add Hashbrowns and Cheese. Sprinkle the frozen hashbrowns and the shredded cheddar over the top of the sausage mixture.
- Prep Eggs. Whisk the eggs and milk in a medium bowl until combined. Next, pour the egg mixture into the casserole dish.
- Cover and Bake. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for about 40-45 minutes.
- Uncover and Finish. Remove the casserole from the oven and take off the aluminum foil. Bake for another 10 minutes or until the top of the egg casserole is slightly browned and the edges come away from the sides of the pan.
- Slice and Serve. Cut into portions, garnish with green onion (optional), and enjoy!
Tips For This Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Here are some quick tips to ensure this recipe always comes out perfectly.
- Cool Before Serving. Let the casserole sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Cook the Meat. Thoroughly. Make sure that the ground sausage is fully cooked before adding it to the casserole. This ensures that you can drain all the fat before baking, keeping it from becoming greasy.
- Make Ahead. You can prepare this breakfast casserole the night before. Store it in the refrigerator and remove it for 30 minutes before you’re ready to bake.
Substitutions and Variations Ideas
Looking for more ways to make this breakfast casserole? Here are some of my favorite ways to jazz it up!
- Breakfast Meat. You can substitute chopped and cooked bacon or ham for the sausage. If you choose, you can add two types of meat. I also like to use the maple variety of the ground sausage for a different flavor.
- Cheese. Use any cheese you like. Pepperjack, swiss, Colby jack, sharp white cheddar, and provolone are also great alternatives.
- Potatoes. Instead of frozen hashbrowns, frozen diced home fries can be used.
- Veggies. Other veggie options include green bell pepper, mushrooms, fresh spinach, or broccoli.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Reheat in the microwave.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes to Try
- Breakfast Sliders
- Ham and Egg Cups
- Bacon Pancake Dippers
- Apple French Toast Casserole
- Muffin Mix Pancakes
- Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- 1 Pound Ground Pork Sausage
- 1 Red Bell Pepper Deseeded and Diced
- 1 Cup Yellow Onion Diced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Hash Browns
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 6 Large Eggs
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- Prepare a 9×13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat a 10” non-stick skillet over medium high heat, add the pork sausage, bell pepper, onion, salt and pepper. Cook until the sausage is no longer pink and the pepper and onion have softened.
- Drain and transfer to a 9×13 casserole dish.
- To the casserole dish, sprinkle the hash browns and cheddar cheese over the cooked sausage.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and whole milk. Pour into the casserole dish and mix to combine.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes.
- The casserole is done when the egg is cooked all the way through and slightly browned on the top. The edges should pull away from the pan.
- Slice and serve, garnish with green onion. Enjoy!
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
transferred to another plate before cooking the veggies. Any milk or non-dairy milk can be used in this recipe. Use any cheese you love in the recipe, some great options are; Pepperjack, swiss, Colby jack,
sharp white cheddar, provolone. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days in an airtight container, best warmed in the
microwave. Frozen diced home fries can be used in place of the hash browns.
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.
2 comments on “Best Breakfast Casserole Recipe”
I made a fritatta. Basically the same and a lot quicker
This was great. So easy to make.