Cabbage Roll Soup recipe is a delicious dinner recipe that will warm your belly on a cold and crisp fall day. This unstuffed cabbage soup is one of the BEST soup recipes that we have ever made and very easy to make!
With lots of chopped vegetables, broth, tomato sauce, ground beef and rice, this hearty soup is a total winner. We like to serve this soup with our easy and delicious 30-minute dinner rolls.
Cabbage Roll Soup
This recipe is pretty simple, which is just one of the reasons I love it so much. You simply season and brown your ground beef, add veggies, broth and tomato sauce, then let sit for 25 minutes. My whole family loves this soup!
We really like making this recipe in our amazing dutch oven, but you can totally use your soup pot instead. Any pot with a lid will work!
How to make Cabbage Roll Soup?
Ingredients you will need:
- lean ground beef
- vegetable oil
- green cabbage
- low-sodium beef broth
- tomato sauce
- white rice
- bay leaf
- brown sugar
To make this delicious unstuffed cabbage soup, you’ll need to start with lean ground beef. You can use regular ground beef, but we like that the lean keeps out a lot of the grease. You put a nice golden brown on the beef and then add in the rest of the ingredients to the pot.
I like to make a double batch of this soup so we have leftovers to eat. We always have sporting events and this is such an easy dinner to heat up on those busy nights knowing everyone will love it.
Can you Freeze Cabbage Roll Soup?
Yes!! If you have leftovers, this soup freezes perfectly. We place the cooked and cooled soup into individual portion freezer bags and place them on a tray or cookie sheet to freeze. Once the soup is frozen, stack the bags in the freezer. Take a bag out to thaw when ready for use. These make easy and delicious lunches.
What Is A Dutch Oven?
A Dutch Oven is very similar to your usual large pot, except with one big difference. That is, it’s usually made out of cast iron. Also, it is much heavier and thicker and the lid fits very tightly on top. Here is the classic red one we like to use.
Cabbage Roll Soup Video
Cabbage Roll Soup
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion diced finely
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chopped green cabbage
- 2 medium carrots quartered and sliced
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 3 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup white rice uncooked
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
- In a dutch oven or large soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat and add ground beef.
- Season ground beef with salt and pepper as desired and cook until browned.
- Add diced onion and minced garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until onions are tender.
- Add in chopped cabbage, carrots, tomato sauce, beef broth, white rice, bay leaf, and brown sugar and stir to combine.
- Bring soup to a simmer and let cook for about 25 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Take out the bay leaf and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
More Soup Recipes you will love:
We know you will love this Cabbage Roll Soup! Head over to Pinterest to find even more delicious recipes to try.