These Cheddar Bay Sausage Balls are cheesy and savory. With only 4 ingredients, they are a fun and quick appetizer that you can make for parties, holidays, or anytime. If you love Red Lobster biscuits, you’ll enjoy these, too.
Cheddar Bay Biscuit Sausage Balls
These sausage balls with Red Lobster biscuit mix are sure to be a crowd-pleaser. They are fluffy and packed full of cheddar cheese flavor. They have a little crunch on the outside for added texture as well. The added cream cheese amps up the bold cheese and adds a creaminess to the inside of the sausage balls that are so delectable, you will be making these for a snack. I eat almost half of them whenever I make them because the garlic flavor is so addictive.
Not only do I enjoy these as an appetizer for a party, game day, or as a savory snack, but they work great for lunch as well. I enjoy them with a dipping sauce and a side salad to make it a filling and tasty meal!
Ingredients You’ll Need
This recipe for sausage balls with biscuit mix only needs 4 ingredients. It’s so simple and cheap to prepare.
- Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit Mix
- Cream Cheese: Leave it on the counter for about 30 minutes to soften before using.
- Cheddar Cheese: This can be bought pre-shredded or you can shred it yourself.
- Sausage: Ground pork sausage of any variety you like.
How to Make Cheddar Bay Sausage Balls
It is so easy and fast to whip up these cheddar and sausage balls. A couple of minutes for prep and then baking – they are ready in less than 30 minutes!
- Step 1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.and prepare a baking sheet and line it with parchment paper.
- Step 2. Combine the biscuit mix (don’t forget to include the seasoning packet – this is what adds the buttery garlic flavor) in a mixing bowl.
- Step 3. Mix the cream cheese until smooth.
- Step 4. Add the sausage into cream cheese until well combined.
- Step 5. Then add in the biscuit mix and shredded cheese and mix until well combined.
- Step 6. Portion out the sausage balls so they are 1 inch in diameter each and place the uncooked sausage balls on the baking sheet.
- Step 7. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and the sausage is thoroughly cooked.
Tips and Tricks
- Sausage: Do not pre-cook the sausage or buy cooked sausage. It must be raw for this recipe. It will cook in the oven. I love regular breakfast sausage (like Jimmy Dean) for this recipe but you can use mild or Italian hot sausage if you prefer. Turkey sausage is another great option.
- I use sharp cheddar cheese but you can use mild cheddar or any variety you like.
- Storage: These cheddar sausage balls can be made ahead of time. Place them prepared in the refrigerator a day ahead of baking them. You can also freeze them uncooked and then bake them for a couple of extra minutes since they will be frozen. Store them in a resealable freezer bag.
- Use a cookie scoop or an ice cream scoop to ensure all of the sausage balls are the same size.
- Add ins: We love these “as is”, but feel free to add in anything you prefer like bacon, chopped onions, garlic powder, etc…
- You can reserve the seasoning packet and combine it with melted butter to brush on them once they come out of the oven. This is how you prepare the biscuits according to the package directions.
What to Serve With Cheddar Bay Sausage Balls
We love to serve these as an appetizer or also with scrambled eggs for breakfast. There are so many dips you can pair with these cheese and sausage balls. Here are some of my favorites, but you can use any of your favorite dipping sauce recipes.
More Easy Appetizer Recipes to Try
Cheddar Bay Sausage Balls
- 1 11.36 oz Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit Mix
- 1 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pound sausage, uncooked
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.and prepare a baking sheet and line it with parchment paper.
- Combine the biscuit mix (don’t forget to include the seasoning packet – this is what adds the buttery garlic flavor).
- Mix the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the sausage into cream cheese until well combined. Then add in the biscuit mix and shredded cheese and mix until well combined.
- Portion out the sausage balls so they are 1 inch in diameter each and place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and the sausage is thoroughly cooked.