This Easy Chicken Fried Rice with Yum Yum Sauce is better than takeout and ready just as quickly! It’s easy to make and perfect for using leftover rice. Serve as the main course or as a side to your other favorite Chinese takeout recipes.
Table of Contents
- Easy Chicken Fried Rice with Yum Yum Sauce
- What Makes This Authentic Chicken Fried Rice?
- What Is Yum Yum Sauce?
- Ingredient List
- What Is The Best Rice To Use For Fried Rice?
- Recipe Variations
- How to Make Chicken Fried Rice
- Tips for Success
- Serving Suggestions
- How to Store Leftovers
- Can You Freeze Fried Rice?
- More Better-Than-Takeout Recipes:
- Get the Recipe
Easy Chicken Fried Rice with Yum Yum Sauce
This authentic Chicken Fried Rice is based on my favorite dish from a local hibachi restaurant. They usually serve this rice with yum yum sauce and let me tell you, it’s a match made in heaven. The rice and creamy sauce are so perfect together that it’s now the only way I like my rice!
It turns out that making Chinese fried rice at home is incredibly easy – and I even stole a trick from my local hibachi restaurant to make the absolute BEST chicken fried rice. This is the most flavorful rice I’ve ever tried, especially with the yum yum sauce, and it’s ready in just 30 minutes!
What Makes This Authentic Chicken Fried Rice?
This recipe is made just like the kind you get when you order take-out or from a hibachi restaurant.
The secret? Adding butter at the end of the recipe!
This is a trick I learned from the local hibachi restaurant. When I asked, they said the butter gives the rice the best taste. After making this with and without butter, I definitely agree!
What Is Yum Yum Sauce?
Yum Yum sauce is a creamy sauce that is served at a lot of hibachi restaurants. It’s made with mayo, ketchup, and a few other ingredients for a sweet, tangy flavor that pairs well with everything from chicken and shrimp to vegetables and rice. A drizzle of it over this chicken fried recipe really elevates the dish!
The best part is that it’s super easy to make too. Just mix the ingredients together and let it chill for an hour before using.
This chicken fried rice is made with just a handful of ingredients. Even better, it’s a great way to use leftover chicken and rice!
- Sesame oil – Used for sauteing the veggies.
- Veggies – I used onions, carrots, and frozen peas.
- Eggs – Scrambled and added to the rice.
- Rice – See below for notes on what rice to use.
- Chicken – This recipe is great for leftover chicken. Otherwise, dice up a cooked breast or thigh. You can add seasoning or sauce to the chicken as desired. A teriyaki marinade would go well with the rice.
- Soy sauce – Gives the classic Chinese takeout flavor.
- Butter – The secret ingredient that makes this the best fried rice!
- Salt and pepper – To taste.
What Is The Best Rice To Use For Fried Rice?
When making fried rice, the most important thing is to use rice that’s cooked and cold. Day-old, leftover rice is ideal. However, if you need to make it fresh for the fried rice, prepare it in advice and chill it in the fridge for a few hours first. In a pinch, spread it out on a baking sheet and pop it in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes.
Warm, freshly cooked rice won’t cook properly when making fried rice and will end up mushy.
You can use white rice as I did here, or brown rice.
Here are a few ways to change up your homemade fried rice.
- Switch up the protein. Fried rice can be made with pork, bacon, shrimp, or other proteins as well. Just be sure to cook them properly before adding them to the dish.
- Add more veggies. You can also add in more vegetables as desired or to replace the chicken for a vegetarian meal. I recommend snap peas, broccoli, cauliflower, and water chestnuts. Remember that some veggies like broccoli will take longer to cook so adjust accordingly.
- Rice alternatives. While the texture won’t be the same, you can try making this recipe with cauliflower rice or quinoa for a low carb alternative.
How to Make Chicken Fried Rice
This easy fried rice recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes!
- Saute the veggies. Saute the onions and carrots in sesame oil until tender. Add the peas.
- Add the eggs. Whisk the eggs. Move the veggies to one side of the pan and pour the eggs in another. Scramble and stir into the eggs.
- Add the other ingredients. Add the rice and chicken. Stir to combine everything. Add the soy sauce, then the butter. Stir well. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve. Serve with a side of yum yum sauce.
Tips for Success
Here are a few tips for making the best Chinese chicken fried rice.
- Use cold rice. As noted above, this is a must to avoid mushy, sticky rice. Even if you make it the day off, be sure to give it time to chill in the fridge.
- Use frozen veggies. Frozen veggies keep this recipe quick and easy. No need to thaw them first! Use any vegetable blend you’d like.
- Use high heat. High heat helps to fry the fried rice and brown it a bit, giving the best texture. Be sure to stir frequently to avoid it burning.
I always enjoy my chicken fried rice with yum yum sauce, as I do at my local hibachi restaurant. It adds such a sweet-but-tangy flavor to it that’s just completely addictive.
The great thing about homemade fried rice is that it can be enjoyed as the main course or as a side dish. I love to serve it with some of my other favorite takeout recipes, like Orange Chicken or General Tso’s Chicken, and maybe a crab rangoon egg roll or two.
How to Store Leftovers
Leftover chicken fried rice will last in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can either reheat in the microwave or in a pan on the stovetop.
Can You Freeze Fried Rice?
Absolutely. Leftover fried rice actually freezes quite well! Once it has cooled completely, transfer to freezer containers or ziploc bags. Freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge and reheat in the stovetop with a bit of oil.
More Better-Than-Takeout Recipes:
Chicken Fried Rice
Chicken Fried Rice Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil or vegetable oil
- ½ cup onion diced
- ½ cup carrots diced
- ½ cup frozen peas no need to thaw
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
Chicken Fried Rice Directions:
- Heat a large frying pan or wok over medium heat. Add the sesame oil, onions, and carrots; sauté until the carrots and onions are starting to become tender.
- Add the peas to the pan and stir well.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. Push the vegetable mixture to one side of the pan, then pour the eggs onto the other side of the pan. Use a spatula to scramble the eggs. Once the eggs are fully cooked, stir into the vegetables.
- Add the rice and chicken; mix well.
- Add the soy sauce then stir into the fried rice.
- Add the butter and stir the rice until the butter is melted.
- Season the fried rice with salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve the right hot with “yum-yum sauce.”