Chinese orange chicken is a family favorite for many people. With this easy to make copycat recipe, you can make Instant Pot Orange Chicken at home, whenever the craving hits. Made from scratch, this orange chicken recipe is better than store bought and tastes so much better.
If you love making Chinese food at home, you will also love Baked Teriyaki Chicken.
Instant Pot Orange Chicken Recipe
Many people, especially kids, one of the first Chinese food recipe they eat is Chinese Orange Chicken. It is sweet and crunchy and it has a fabulous flavor. It is has a sauce that sticks well to the chicken and coats the rice. When you make this Chinese orange chicken recipe in the Instant Pot, not only do you get a Chinese takeout meal at home, you get it faster than you would if you ordered Chinese take out.
What Should I Serve with Homemade Orange Chicken?
My go to when I serve homemade orange chicken is either white rice or I make fried rice. You can serve orange chicken with a side of broccoli or edamame. You can also serve it lo mein noodles.
Can I Make This Orange Chicken on the stovetop?
If you wanted to make this orange chicken in the stove, you could finish cooking the chicken through during the sautee step that gives you the crispy chicken. Then create the sauce separately. Once both are done cooking, you would toss them together.
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Chicken breast
- Vegetable oil
- No sugar added orange juice
- Ginger paste
- Rice wine
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Soy sauce
- Crushed red pepper
- Green onions
How to Make Instant Pot Orange Chicken
Pat the chicken dry and then cut it into small chunks about 1 to 2 inches.
In a bowl ass 2 eggs and whisk them.
In another bowl add the corn starch and flour. Mix them together.
Dip the chicken into the egg and then into the flour mixture. Shake off the excess flour and set the chicken on a plate. Repeat this with all of the chicken.
Set the Instant Pot to pressure cooker Sauté.
When the Instant Pot reads hot, add the oil and then add the chicken and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
Turn the chicken over to make sure it is an even cook and all side look golden brown.
Remove the chicken and set it aside.
Using 1/4 cup of orange juice, deglaze the pan and scrape the bottom of the pan gently.
Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and stir them to combine.
Add the chicken back into the pot and toss it in the sauce.
Close the lid and set the Instant Pot to high pressure for 5 minutes.
Make sure the vent is closed and once the pot os 10, do a 10 minutes natural release.
Turn the Instant Pot to saute after releasing the rest of the pressure and removing the lid.
In a small bowl mix the oj and the cornstarch to make a slurry. Whisk it together well until there are no lumps, then slowly add the mixture into the pot. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
Allow the orange chicken to thicken for about 5 minutes.
Serve over rice and garnish with green onions, red chilis or extra orange zest.
Other Instant Pot Dinner Recipes You Will Love:
Instant Pot Orange Chicken
- 2 lbs chicken breast cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup no sugar added OJ
- 1 tbsp. ginger paste
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. rice wine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. Sriracha
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
Garnish: 4 green onions sliced extra orange zest
- Pat the chicken dry with a few paper towels and after that cut the chicken into 1-2 inch chunks.
- In a small bowl add your 2 eggs and whisk.
- In a separate bowl add your corn flour and all purpose flour.
- Mix to combine.
- Dip the chicken chunks into the whisked eggs and then into the flour mixture.
- Shake off to the excess and set to the side.
- Repeat until all chicken is coated.
- Heat up your pressure cooker: press Sauté.
- Wait for the Instant Pot indicator to read HOT. Add the oil to the hot
- Instant Pot, add the chicken and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn your chicken over and over for an even cook.
- Cook until it just starts to get golden brown.
- Remove the chicken and set to the side.
- Deglaze the pot with 1/4 cup orange juice and scrape them with a wooden spoon.
- Add the Sauce ingredients to the pot.
- Stir gently until all the ingredients are combined.
- Add the chicken and toss until they are coated in sauce.
- Close lid, select Manual, and select 5 minutes on High Pressure.
- Make sure the vent is closed. Use a 10 minute Natural Release.
- Turn off the heat.
- Release the remaining pressure by opening the vent. Open the lid.
- Select again the Sauté function.
- In a medium bowl combine 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with the orange juice, whisk until all combined with no lumps.
- Add the mixture to the Instant Pot and gently stir to combine.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the instant pot off.
- Allow the chicken to thicken for 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice and garnish with fresh chopped green onions, red chilis, and extra orange zest.